What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera auriculata

Drosera hookeri

Drosera menziesii

Drosera peltata

Drosera rupicola

Drosera rosulata - Just emerged. There was no sign of a plant yesterday.

Drosera erythrorhiza

Drosera rosulata

Drosera orbiculata

Drosera squamosa - Sand Growing Form

Drosera whittakeri

Drosera rosulata

Drosera squamosa - Laterite Growing Form

Drosera whitakerii

Drosera orbiculata

Only half of these latest photos are species that are even on my radar. 'Great to see them doing so well!

I just picked up D.orbiculata and D.rosulata this year, they're already among my favorites though.

Very beautiful Plants Johnny,

I took an interest in tuberous last year and will be trying out some very soon, I just hope they can take my country's temperature.

BTW, your D.squamosa. I think i read something about it before, I guess the tuber decides to just form another tuber and refuse to wake up ? :D

Tish

Wow, if I ever wish to jump through those hoops again, I'll know where to look for info . . .

Very beautiful Plants Johnny,

I took an interest in tuberous last year and will be trying out some very soon, I just hope they can take my country's temperature.

BTW, your D.squamosa. I think i read something about it before, I guess the tuber decides to just form another tuber and refuse to wake up ? :D

Tish

Thank you. My climate is in no way suitable to grow these plants. Mine are all grown inside under lights with some careful seasonal manipulation. You may have some difficulty in winter with some species in Singapore. Nothing an air conditioner can't fix though.

Yes, the tuber decided to just grow an additional tuber instead of going into active growth. I've since cut the stolon and I'm hoping both tubers survive.

Good luck in your attempts with these plants.

Wow, if I ever wish to jump through those hoops again, I'll know where to look for info . . .

Bring it on Big D.......

And yes, there can be a hoop or 2 to jump through with these but they should do terrific in your climate provided that you shelter them from any rainfall in summer.

Bring it on Big D.......

And yes, there can be a hoop or 2 to jump through with these but they should do terrific in your climate provided that you shelter them from any rainfall in summer.

Rainfall in CA during the Summer would be a sign of the Apocalypse . . .

Rainfall in CA during the Summer would be a sign of the Apocalypse . . .

Perfect then ! I should have some spare tubers to spread around in the next month or so. Let me know if you want to take the dive.

Thank you. My climate is in no way suitable to grow these plants. Mine are all grown inside under lights with some careful seasonal manipulation. You may have some difficulty in winter with some species in Singapore. Nothing an air conditioner can't fix though.

Yes, the tuber decided to just grow an additional tuber instead of going into active growth. I've since cut the stolon and I'm hoping both tubers survive.

Good luck in your attempts with these plants.

I'm sure both your tubers survives as they are in good green thumbs :)

Thanks for the encouragements. Keeping my fingers cross

Sent from my SM-N9005

That is quite an impressive collection, Cthulhu138; and you even have one of my most wanted plants, Drosera zonaria. I wish the tuberous species were more readily available in the US, though I need to upgrade my lighting before I even think about buying one.

Tuberous season has kicked off !

Drosera abberans

Drosera basifolia

Drosera lowriei

Drosera magna

Drosera menziesii

Drosera modesta

Drosera prostrata

Drosera squamosa - Laterite Growing Form

Drosera tubaestylis

Drosera whitakkeri

Drosera zigzagia

Last edited:
You've been busy today! Great-looking plants. They are making me hungry for more sprouts of my own. I finally got one of the D. modesta coming up so I am waiting, not too patiently, for more. The warm weather lingered very late in Pacific Northwest.

It's been abnormally warm here too but my plants are grown in the basement where it always stays a bit cooler. I've found that as time goes on and the plants settle in more, they set their internal clocks and come up at the same time of year regardless of external weather and temperature.

3 more D.magna have come up since I took that photo yesterday morning !

Nice! D. magna is the look I really like, what is the time frame from sprout to the picture you posted above?

Nice! D. magna is the look iIrreally like, what is the time frame from sprout to the picture you posted above?

About a week to 10 days from emergence from the media to the point you're seeing here. Non flowering individuals seem to develop a bit more quickly than plants that are putting up flowers. D.magna also produces addition tubers more readily for me than other members of the D.squamosa complex.

1 week later.......................

Drosera aberrans - This species requires a somewhat moist dormancy to prevent the tubers from dessicating.

Drosera basifolia - I have no idea what the 2nd tuber decided to do this year. Rather than coming up as a single plant, it emerged as around 20 smaller plants.

Drosera hookeri emerging with Pterostylis curta, an Australian terrestrial orchid.

Drosera lowriei - Type Plant with flowers.

Drosera lowrie - Giant Plants

Drosera magna - This species does not often flower in cultivation. 3 additional tubers have emerged since last weekend and the parent plant has sent up 2 growth points.

Drosera menziesii

Drosera modesta

Drosera monantha - Emerging flower stalks.

Drosera prostrata - Each scape has several flower buds.

Drosera ramellosa

Drosera squamosa - Sand Growing Form

Drosera squamosa - Laterite Growing Form. It appears that my attempts at hand pollinating the flowers was successful.

Drosera subhirtella

Drosera tubaestylis

Drosera whitakkeri

Drosera zonaria

Back