What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a great series of photos..... Wow Love it thanks for sharing... I've been to a few bogs in Massachusetts but need to go more north next time....

What a great series of photos..... Wow Love it thanks for sharing... I've been to a few bogs in Massachusetts but need to go more north next time....

Maine has some great ones and I've heard of one in Vermont that's especially impressive. I need to go find it this summer.

Maine has some great ones and I've heard of one in Vermont that's especially impressive. I need to go find it this summer.
I have several here in Ohio.. But Still have more to explore..

Just got back from another trip to Florida. Unfortunately, I couldn't access the area withe the S.minor this year due to flooding. I still found some interesting plants though.......

Drosera brevifolia (D.capillaris above)

D.brevifolia in center, D.capillaris left and bottom.

Drosera capillaris

Avery unusual red flowered variety.

Pinguicula pumila

Last edited:
Utricularia gibba

Utricularia inflata

Utricularia radiata

Utricularia subulata

Those are some amazing locations you have access to. I'm hoping someday I'll be able to visit a location like that, though living on the west coast there is much less variety in carnivorous plants.

There are some pretty amazing Darlingtonia sites out there though.

Right now I'm hoping to find a sundew bog up in the mountains. I read a hint about one location that's nearby but need to wait a few months so I'll be able to find more than hibernacula.

Love it... i need a vacation to the swamps..

Myself and a few other NECPS members visited a bog I've been to several times yesterday. This site lies just barely south of Boston city limits.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Drosera intermedia

The plants in this wet, open depression were a mix of D.intermedia, D.rotundifolia and D. x beleziana.

Utricularia macrohiza

Utricularia intermedia

There were 2 species of bog orchids in full bloom..........

Pogonia ophioglossoides - Rose Pogonia

Calopogon tuberosus - Grass Pink Orchid

We also saw some other interesting wildflowers........

An Aster, not sure of the exact species.

Northern Blue Flag - Iris versicolor

Water Lily, not sure of species.

The discovery of 2 camera shy juvenile Spotted Turtles (Clemmys guttata) topped off the day.

Last edited:
Nice day's play!

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing

I sure miss seeing the Pogonia from locations near my childhood home. Those are beautiful. Thank you so much for documenting your excursion.

I sure miss seeing the Pogonia from locations near my childhood home. Those are beautiful. Thank you so much for documenting your excursion.

These Pogonia were a lot shorter and paler than others I've seen at different locations. Both of those species are getting increasing rare around here. It was great to see such healthy and plentiful populations.

We traveled to 2 bogs today. The 1st, about a half an hour north of Boston was a disappointment. It was heavily grown in and the only CP's we found there were a small patch of Drosera rotundifolia and a very sparse and inaccessible population of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea. We also saw the only herpetofauna of the day here, a single Eastern garter Snake.

Eastern Garter Snake - Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis

Drosera rotundifolia

The 2nd site, in southern NH is one that I've visited in the past. This site holds a large and variable population of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, the smallest specimens of Drosera intermedia I've ever seen, Drosera rotundifolia, Utricularia cornuta, 2 species of orchids and a very nice surprise.......

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Utricularia cornuta growing among some Drosera intermedia.

Drosera rotundifolia

Drosera intermedia

The biggest treat of the day was this small clump of anthocyanin free Drosera intermedia.

Last edited:
You shoulda taken a leaf cutting of that intermedia ;), and yes you can quote me on that.

-Dave

Wow! Nice pictures. The sphagnum in the first site looks pretty nice.

Awesome pics.

We went to yet another spot today that we suspected may support some bogs. It's a heavily wooded area about 30 minutes north of Boston that is dotted with ponds and swamps. We didn't find any bogs but we did find some local orchids and PLENTY of Utricularia.

Utricularia purpurea - Unfortunately, these plants were too far out into the middle of the pond to get decent photos of without going for a few hundred yard swim. My knees just weren't feeling up to the task today.

Utricularia macrorhiza - We found this species growing in profusion in many of the ponds and swamps in the area.

Utricularia macrorhiza flowers blooming up through immense floating mats of Utricularia gibba. U.gibba is still about a week away from flowering here. We have never witnessed U.gibba in such profusion as it is at this site.

Utrcularia gibba - The impending blooms can been seen rising out of the dense mats of foliage. I'll try to get back out here next weekend to photograph the flowers.

We also found 2 species of orchids on the trail to one of the ponds.

Goodyera repens

Goodyera tesselata

Cool pics Johnny, looks like some good trips. Gotta start bringing the canoe just in case.

Back