What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've decided to consolidate all my photos of wild carnivorous plants and other associated flora into 1 thread. So far, I've visited bogs from Maine to Florida, I'm hoping to add a West Coast trip this summer.

This 1st bog, an Atlantic White Cedar Bog is almost within Boston city limits. It sports a decent population of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, Drosera intermedia, Drosera rotundifolia, Drosera x beleziana, and several species of Utricularia along with other unusual bog flora and some of the most beautiful red sphagnum I've seen.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Last edited:
Awesome pics! That red sphagnum really is something alright! Seen much in NJ? May/June is a great time to check things out there.......

Same location as above.

Drosera intermedia

Drosera rotundifolia

D. x beleziana - Natural Hybrid of D.intermedia and D.rotundifolia

Drosera x beliziana and Drosera intermedia

Drosera x beliziana

Utricularia geminiscapa

Last edited:
NECPS meeting at Black Jungle - August 2014

Site #1. While the CP's we saw at this site were impressive, the orchids stole the show today.

The general habitat where all the plants were growing.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea

Drosera rotundifolia

Utricularia intermedia and either U.macrorhiza or U.inflata

Utricularia cornuta

The orchids we found at this site......

Share the photo: Gymnadeniopsis (Platanthera) clavellata - Western Massachusetts - Site #1 - - See more at: http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/N...te Orchids?sort=3&page=3#sthash.CLHSi66A.dpuf
Gymnadeniopsis (Platanthera) clavellata - The Northern Club-Spur Orchis

Platanthera blepharoglottis - The Northern White Fringed Orchis

Pogonia ophioglossoides - Rose Pogonia or Snakemouth Orchid - We were very surprised to find these in bloom (or just recently so) this late in the season.

A passing flower.

Foliage.

A very exciting discovery and possibly a new form of P.ophioglossoides ! A peloric form of the plant with 3 radially symetrical lips intead of 1 !

Site #2 - This site had some Utricularia inflata or radiata that were too far out in the pond to photograph but there were some beautiful Platanthera lacera - The Ragged Fringed Orchis growing by the shore.

Site #3 - While lacking any orchids......this location was host to an extremely variable population of S.purpurea purpurea.

Last edited:
Another Atlantic white cedar bog in Southern NH. This location sits in a depression right smack in the middle of suburbia. The area is under threat of disappearing due to the encroaching red maples and grey birches that are invading the bog at an alarming rate. The trees have probably gained a foothold in the otherwise inhospitable bog due to phosphates from fertilizer run off from the surrounding neighborhood.

Here's the general habitat.

The one orchid we found was Pogonia ophioglossoides, the Rose Pogonia. This species was extirpated inexplicably from the site but was successfully reintroduced several years ago. Maybe next year we'll get to this location early enough to see them in bloom.

Drosera intermedia - These are by far the smallest examples of adult D.intermedia I've seen at any of the bogs I've visited.

Drosera rotundifolia - These plants were also much smaller than any other D.rotundifolia I've seen.

Note the foliage of Utricularia cornuta in this photo.

Utricularia cornuta - None of these were in bloom and only a single expired flower stalk was found.

Sarracenia purpurea purpurea - a seemingly healthy population on the brink of habitat loss.

Etiolated plants growing in what was once wide open bog habitat, now heavily grown in with saplings.

The plants growing in the open bog were beautiful and unique.

Fortunately we found many small seedlings in the area, ensuring at least for now that this population is continueing to grow and prosper.

An ombrotropic bog in CT located right beside a very busy main road from which the plants can be seen if you looking for them. This location has a beautiful and abundant population of Sarracenia purpurea and Drosera rotundifolia.

Last summer I visited a few bogs on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I visited 3 different locations, all somewhat close to each other yet all ecologically different.

Site # 1

The entrance road and habitats where we found the plants . A fairly dry site, very unique among New England bog habitats as all 3 locations were.

Some sphagnum.

The one orchid we encountered on the trip, a C.tuberousus who's flower has just passed.

Some Lycopodium.

Sabatia kennedyana - The Plymouth Gentian. This plant was found in all 3 locations only growing in the exact same habitat as the carnivores.

Drosera intermedia

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis - The northern most population of this species in the United States, 2nd most northern in the world.

Last edited:
Site #2

This was a very small, wet patch of ground completely surrounded by scrub oak, jack pine, brambles and poison ivy. If you didn't know this habitat existed in this exact spot, you would walk right on by, completely unaware.

Drosera intermedia

Both species growing side by side.

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis

Last edited:
Site #3.

We arrived at this site on a fluke. No real information, just a name and a town. Sure glad we decided to seek it out ! This habitat was the most unique and diverse of the 3 we visited. All the plants were growing right on the edge of a pond with houses all around it. This spot had the most dense populations of plants as well as the largest and most vigorous specimens, probably due to the abundance of water verses the other 2 locations.

Drosera intermedia - These plants were growing right from the shore up into the wood line. They also inhabited an area that was pure mud with large tussocks of grass or reeds, often growing on stalks right up through dense mats of vegetation.

Drosera filiformis var. filiformis

This was also the only site where we encountered any Utricularia.

Utricularia gibba var. bifolia

Utricularia cornuta - Growing closer to the waters edge in pure sand.

Emmi Kurosawa noticed the first Utricularia purpurea growing right at the waters edge.

Last edited:
Green Swamp - Brunswick Co, NC

Sarracenia rubra rubra

Natural Hybrids

S. purpurea venosa x rubra rubra

Probably a back cross of S.x catesbaei (flava x purpurea venosa) to S. flava.

Last edited:
I took a trip to Florida and even though time was limited, I still had the opportunity to visit a couple of CP habitats.

Big Cypress Swamp:

Pinguicula pumila:

Pinguicula caerulea:

Utricularia cornuta

Utricularia foliosa in Lake Dora, Central Florida:

Faver-Dykes State Park:

Utricularia subulata:

Drosera capillaris:

Sarracenia minor:

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures. If I were ever to come across a bog I would be so worried about stepping on a small Drosera while navigating between Sarracenia. Thanks for sharing.

Also, there was another thread with the same title. I removed it because I thought it was a duplicate (with the pictures not working). Let me know if it needs to be merged into this thread.

xvart.

Awesome pics! That red sphagnum really is something alright! Seen much in NJ? May/June is a great time to check things out there.......

Thanks John. Never been to the NJ bogs but, I'd love to check out some of the Pine Barrens sites. Definitely need to plan a trip there. Long Island, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard and Nova Scotia to see the northern most population of Drosera filiformis are also on my long list of "must see" bogs of the North East.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures. If I were ever to come across a bog I would be so worried about stepping on a small Drosera while navigating between Sarracenia. Thanks for sharing.

Also, there was another thread with the same title. I removed it because I thought it was a duplicate (with the pictures not working). Let me know if it needs to be merged into this thread.

xvart.

Thanks. There are some places where it is impossible not to step on some of the Drosera while looking around. I found a similar situation with Dionaea in North Carolina, the ground was just a carpet of them.

I think you saw this post wile I was still working on it. All photos should work now.

That is quite the opus! I had no idea that there were so many great sites in New England. I appreciate your efforts in posting all these.

That is quite the opus! I had no idea that there were so many great sites in New England. I appreciate your efforts in posting all these.

I haven't even scratched the surface with our local bogs. I have many, many more to investigate and photograph. There are several I know of that I haven't been to since I was a kid. I can only imagine disappointment when I go back now.

Back