What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just to clear some things out for he newbies

Timmy

BANNED
Dionaea Dentate, Dente, and Dentate Traps, are ALL the same. When a plant from a Red Piranha (example) has germinated, even if it looks Identical to the mother. It is NOT a Red Piranha. Just because a leaf is turning black means nothing, it is part of the natural growth cycle for the Dionaea. If you see a flower stalk, cut it off immeadeiatly, even if you think they have to do it, or they have to do it in the wild, you're wrong. Some plants just don't flower. Only use Maxsea fertilizer. No other one. I'm sure there are more, but I am also sure that that one is safe. For Neps, you can use coffee and betta pellets as fertilizer. The coffee SIGNIFICANTLY makes the pitchers have a huge growth sport. Maybe it stays all night up growing :-)). Dentate does not go against flytraps, as it was found that way, and it's genetics wanted it that way.

I'm really sorry, but some of the things you have stated are just rubbish.

Not to mention.....aren't you a noob as well? :scratch:

I'm really sorry, but some of the things you have stated are just rubbish.

Not to mention.....aren't you a noob as well?

This. Also, this barely clears anything for newcomers to the hobby. :l

:rant: No! I have grown cp's for 5 years!

Timmy said:
...even if you think they have to do it, or they have to do it in the wild, you're wrong. Some plants just don't flower.
Show me a plant that has not flowered for decades and I will believe you. Dionaea are flowering plants, so like flowering plants, they flower.

Timmy said:
Only use Maxsea fertilizer.
I have used a variety of orchid ferts on Nepenthes... MaxSea is not much different from them. I have used Osmocote slow release pellets as well on Sarracenia with success.

Timmy said:
The coffee SIGNIFICANTLY makes the pitchers have a huge growth sport. Maybe it stays all night up growing :-)).
It's the nitrogen in the coffee that gives the plants " a huge growth sport", not caffeine.

Timmy said:
No! I have grown cp's for 5 years!
So have I. So how does this help newcomers clear anything out?

Be careful what you post sometimes...
... like my English teacher once said, "if you're going to say or do anything, make sure it makes sense."

This. Also, this barely clears anything for newcomers to the hobby. :l

:nono: Yes it does. Read, the re read. Many people have asked about fertilizing, how to make plants grow faster. What's the difference beetwen the 3 same plants I listed above. ^^

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Moof on flytrapcare, his Sawtooth has never flowered. I said there are probably more ferts. That was a joke.

:nono: Yes it does. Read, the re read. Many people have asked about fertilizing, how to make plants grow faster. What's the difference beetwen the 3 same plants I listed above. ^^

Would you like me to make a list of things not covered in this post? Also, there are way more fetilizers to use than just Maxsea and coffee grinds... And the difference, I dunno. Never bothered researching dente/dentate. Either way, doesn't really prove me wrong...

Would you like me to make a list of things not covered in this post? Also, there are way more fetilizers to use than just Maxsea and coffee grinds... And the difference, I dunno. Never bothered researching dente/dentate. Either way, doesn't really prove me wrong...

I said there were more.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Eh, this feels useless, now that I feel stupid. Someone can delete it now :l

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Moof on flytrapcare, his Sawtooth has never flowered. I said there are probably more ferts. That was a joke.

It may be a joke, but a misleading one at that. Dionaea will not flower unless they are very stressed or very happy, so saying his/her flytrap hasn't flowered yet is rubbish because "Moof" either has an unhappy Sawtooth or a young one.

And by the way, it's ccv. 'Dentate Traps'... Barry Rice was the first to register it with the ICPS, making it the true name.

He is a very experienced grower, and his plant is an adult.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Is that a Nepenthes ampullaria or bical as your avatar?

He is a very experienced grower, and his plant is an adult.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Is that a Nepenthes ampullaria or bical as your avatar?

No offense, but I think a five-year grower would know that it's a xHookeriana, which is a cross between ampullaria and rafflesiana.

Show me evidence that his plant has never ever flowered and will not flower and I will believe you.

in timmy's defense, "clear some things up" not cover every spectrum of growing them.

but... clarify some things a bit more. lol. ie:(not flowering=oddities of nature, only using maxsea? highly diluted common brand ferts have been used by several [that ive read maybe more] posters w.o adverse side effects)

Dionaea Dentate, Dente, and Dentate Traps, are ALL the same. When a plant from a Red Piranha (example) has germinated, even if it looks Identical to the mother. It is NOT a Red Piranha. Just because a leaf is turning black means nothing, it is part of the natural growth cycle for the Dionaea. If you see a flower stalk, cut it off immeadeiatly, even if you think they have to do it, or they have to do it in the wild, you're wrong. Some plants just don't flower. Only use Maxsea fertilizer. No other one. I'm sure there are more, but I am also sure that that one is safe. For Neps, you can use coffee and betta pellets as fertilizer. The coffee SIGNIFICANTLY makes the pitchers have a huge growth sport. Maybe it stays all night up growing :-)). Dentate does not go against flytraps, as it was found that way, and it's genetics wanted it that way.

Maybe you want to state this as opinion rather than fact.

IMO, but some are facts.

Dentate does not go against flytraps, as it was found that way, and it's genetics wanted it that way.

"go against flytraps"?
thats not very clear..

but anyway, just because a mutation is "natural" doesnt necessarily mean "its the way nature intended"..lots of mutations are BAD..and cause the death of the organism (plant or animal)..and these mutations are not necessarily what "genetics wants"

genetics "wants" to improve the species..not weaken it..
many "bad" mutations survive because of humans, when they *shouldnt* and wouldnt survive if nature was left to its own devices..

Personally I cant stand the "bart simpson" type VFT mutations..I think they are an abomination and should all be destroyed (seriously..not joking) because they weaken the species..(and dont even get me started on Persian cats, Pug dogs, and parrot cichlids..ugh..)

and lots of other things that "genetics wanted that way" arent good either..
cancer, being born without arms or legs, downs syndrome..the list goes on an on..
just because its "caused by nature" doesnt necessarily mean its "the best of what nature intends"! ;)

Scot

"go against flytraps"?
thats not very clear..

but anyway, just because a mutation is "natural" doesnt necessarily mean "its the way nature intended"..lots of mutations are BAD..and cause the death of the organism (plant or animal)..and these mutations are not necessarily what "genetics wants"

genetics "wants" to improve the species..not weaken it..
many "bad" mutations survive because of humans, when they *shouldnt* and wouldnt survive if nature was left to its own devices..

Personally I cant stand the "bart simpson" type VFT mutations..I think they are an abomination and should all be destroyed (seriously..not joking) because they weaken the species..(and dont even get me started on Persian cats, Pug dogs, and parrot cichlids..ugh..)

and lots of other things that "genetics wanted that way" arent good either..
cancer, being born without arms or legs, downs syndrome..the list goes on an on..
just because its "caused by nature" doesnt necessarily mean its "the best of what nature intends"! ;)

Scot

Well think of it this way...you ever see those ridiculous birds of paradise, with the flamboyant plumage and their crazy noisy predator-attracting mating dances? Those adaptations are the same sort of thing...they really are harmful to the individual and make them less fit, except in one way: they help the individual be more likely to pass on its genes.

The wacky traps are the same sort of thing. By all accounts they're a maladaptation, except in one crucial way: they caught our eye. You could kind of imagine that we're acting as a "pollinator"...the plant is attracting our attention in order to get our help in passing on its genes. If a plant does something that makes it more likely to pass on its genes...at the end of the day, that's all that matters! It's a biological success.

Scot

lol Scot....they weaken the species? sure they are ugly and i dont care for them either
but they dont weaken the species lmao
they are weak to their own little cultivar, not the entire freaking species...reword your statements, as long as people arent going around and crossing them with wild flowers, not a single bit of damage is done, get over yourself.

Timmy you say youve grown CPs for 5 years but you give out a lot of noobish vibes, im pretty sure youve been trying to grow CPs for 5 years, killed most all of them, and finally got back into it to give it another shot....

the way you came off is a bit...
obnoxious to say the least, since it sounded like you were trying to "school" the noobs, but in actual reality made yourself look like a fool by typing pure gibberish since nearly none of it really held any ground...

pointless rant over, you may all resume your regularly scheduled propogation of retarded, deformed, and species weakening cultivars (as scot calls em) :D

just to clarify for anyone desiring to use the word "significant" especially when dealing with science, you need experimental evidence to justify your claim. not only experimental evidence, but a statistically significant p value of or less than 0.05 in order to say that coffee is directly responsible for significant growth, the pitchers must also be measured to a pitcher without coffee (multiple samples, another p value) to prove that the growth is significant as well. otherwise, your "significant" isnt really "significant" but just an opinion.

No offense, but I think a five-year grower would know that it's a xHookeriana, which is a cross between ampullaria and rafflesiana.

Not to jump to Timmy's defense, because I am not. However, the fact that your avatar is a xHookeriana is not exactly obvious, even to experienced growers. Perhaps, it is obvious to growers experienced with nepenthes hybrids, but that is by no means all experienced growers.

It wasn't obvious to me, and I've grown CPs for over 20 years. One can gain experience rapidly by having exposure and experience with a lot of plants. There are a lot of growers on TF who know a lot more than I do, because they've been able to build up sizable collections in a short period of time. Timmy could have had 5 years of very narrow experience, but experience nonetheless.

-Hermes.

For instance, I learned you can apparently grow Neps outdoors in California, after apparently learning you can grow them at all indoors last year. Everyone has their learning curve with CP's.

Saying MaxSea is the only fert is pretty bold though. It's good stuff, but it isn't black magic.

Back