What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

after years of giveing advice and tending to others carnivorous plant terraniums i am makeing my own, this weekend with assistance from my fater we went outside and grabbed the old ten gallon fish tank, which was in the back of the old pick-up, i know hwat you might think "pick-up in the backyard?" i assure you im not a redneck, lol. anyways we cleaned it up filled the bottom with large river rock, on top of that we put a piece of heavy duty screen door materail then a mixture of peat moss, sand, perlite, and long fibered spagnum peat moss for the planting substrate. then for a cover we bought a piece of plexiglass and cut it to fit, we then drilled two holes in the top and added screw, washers, and nuts as handy handles. We then grabbed the pastic sheet that the screen was package in and layed it across the top and then put the pexiglass top over it so it fits snugly into the top holding the plastic sheeting in so that the moisture will acumulate. As of right now i have a digital thermonter and hydrometer to gauge the levels inside the tank. Now call me dareing but i like a challage, instead of adding adult plants im going to sow seeds and grow my own! any comments, qestions are wecolme and as soon as i find the usb cable for my digital camera i will have a picture of it.

p.s and one more thing the tank im useing is more the twenty years old so im reuseing it for a good cause!

the following pics are of the substrate level, the front of the tank (sorry for the foggy glass! plants and seeds need their humidity), and of a top down view of the right and left side.
i finished sowing and planting all the seeds/plants that are going in there (right now) yesterday. Call me crazy but this is whats in there!:

Marsh blazeing star ( Liatris spicata), Cardinal flower (lobelia carnalis), Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum), Poka-dot plant (Hyponesthes 'Confetti red'), Kyoto moss, Rhodora (Rhododendron canadensis), i went out into the cold and got a little native moss from my garden, bradford rambler ( fern), Tassel fern ( Polystichum polyblepharum), Red-stemmed lady fern (Athyrium filix-femina var. angustum forma rubellum), Royal fern (Osmunda regalis var. spectabilis), Arrow arum (Peltandra virginica), Rock polypody (Polpodium virginianum), Eastern Dewthread (Drosera filiformis), and Spoon-leaved sundew (Drosera rotundifolia).

once their done with there 4 weeks cold stratification period i am going to be adding the seeds of (Sarracenia purpurea), (Sarracenia flava), (sarracenia leucophylla),(Sarrcenia psittacina).

well thats it, what do you think? as things germinate ill keep postings pics, but seeing i will be away at college it migh be difficult.

but for some reason i cant find the button to add pics, so those will have to wait.

I predict fungi problems :( My terrarium is only 50% covered and once my plants acclimate to that I'll leave it 100% uncovered. I used to keep it covered with a fan but am in the process of removing the cover completely. The only plants that I've ever grown successfully like that back in the day was D. adelae.

Both drosera you have are best suited to outdoor culture and require a dormancy. The sarracenia will require a dormancy aswell, and all of those cps will require high light. It will take about 5 years to get mature plants.

The pic function is the little mountain symbol, and I'd like to wish you good luck fitting that many large plants in a 10 gallon :)

lol, u misunderstand me, i only plan on germinateing and growing to good size those plants, i know they need a dormancy period, there not going to be there for ever. i once oversaw the matince of a Cp tank at a private school filled with drosera, uric's, ping's, sarr's, Vft's which was completely covered and they grew like weeds! so much so that i had to transplant some of the uric's, ping's, and dorsera to a new tank and the tank's werent in direct light either. so hopefully i hope to repilcate that technique.

geez, the moutain icon only post's pictures from a url, i tryed but it dident work as you can see.

Then it all sounds good and sounds like you know what you're doing :)

Wouldn't have any pics of the big private school terrarium would ya?

lol unfortunatly no, i wish i did, they dident allow any cameras at thet school! o and is there any way i can add pics from my computer instead of a url? it says in the posting rules that im not allowed to post attachments. o by the way the terranium at the private school dident ever develeop any fungus other then the white fungus that usually appears on peat shortly after wetting it. but either way it should be intresting ill keep u posted.

Uhh not that I know of (That's a pretty weird rule for a school by the way. That's the most private private school i've ever heard of lol)

What you can do is upload your pics from your HD to imageshack or photobucket or something similar like that for free. Then you can just copy and paste the code directly into the text box.

Auctually, I havn't ever been able to get full-sized images from imageshack. Only photobucket. I like photobucket :)

I've never had white-fungus lol. I say any fungus other than that that is symbiotic is bad lol.

Especially... sporotrichosis!

lol, ya, but nothing ever harmful to the plants. so what your saying is theirs no way of adding pics from my computer.

Not on this website (AFAIK)

crap, i thought it use to?

Nopealope.

Maybe CPUK works like that. I'm not sure because I hardly ever go there (no reason, just lazy :) )

Would you like me to upload that for you?

that you but no thanks, i think ive got it, you should be able to see the pics now by just clicking the link.

No problamo.

Looks like a good start.

well thanks, im especially proud of the soil mix, part peat moss, snad, perliye, and long-fibered spag., i hope everything worls out alright.

Back