What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing pictures of beautiful plants! That mini bog is a real show stopper.....

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, y'all!

@Jon: Perhaps I'll spend some special time with the U. uniflora tomorrow... just for you. Haha.

dang! Your dews look amazing!

Wow that last minibog is just... amazing!!! :drool: :hail:

Wow! Everything looks amazing!

That minibog is classy as hell. Really like it. I know I posted on this thread early on asking about how you'd manage dormancy for those plants in your minibog. I haven't searched this thread for more discussion on that topic, but seeing as winter has come and gone (and is coming again) since then, I was wondering if you'd sorted out a system? Or are you going to boldly try raising those VFTs without dormancy (as I am currently doing with several of my own VFTs and a S. purp, I might add).

Thanks, everyone!

@TheFury: I actually am considering going without dormancy. I did not give them any dormancy last winter, and well... the pictures speak for themselves. So I guess we'll see how it goes again this winter! I don't know if they actually did enter a mild dormancy or not, though, because the temperatures did drop in there over the winter (not the 55* people recommend for dormancy, nowhere near that) and I did shorten their "day." They certainly slowed down and didn't give me much action all winter, then spring came, the temps increased, and their "day" got longer again and they sprung into action. Who knows, sounds like a dormancy to me, but it wasn't cold enough that they "should" have gone into dormancy.

Needs moar pictures! :laaa:

Ohmygosh!!!!!!! That is SOOOOOO amazing!!!
Just...wow...
THAT is what I want my inside stuffs to be like!! :love:

Wow Reaper Idk how I missed this thread but i'm glad i found it. Beautiful plants and some great photography!

LOVE your Adelae farm! I love Adelae! I have a forest myself!

Many thanks, everyone!

New video:

Drosera spatulata x capensis In Action

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VqaOwUv0NX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another attempt at timelapsing. This was with a new lens, so largely experimental, and I caught a few things I could definitely improve on.

Shot with a Canon T1i, lens was a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. Used a TI-83+ as a ghetto intervalometer.

Music is Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata."

_ReApEr,

I'd like to ask, how do you grow your sphagnum? Is it just sitting in a covered container and you add water once in a while? Is there a layer of peat below sphagnum?

Also where did you get that ultrasonic fogger (I have googled, but maybe there is a source of cheaper once)?

Last edited:
Here's a shot from when I set it up:

1%20(1)%20-%20Copy.JPG

I got the design from mass. Just a tank with a false bottom made of egg crate, then a layer of dead LFS, then dumped live sphagnum on top. Keep the water level around the false bottom, and it grows like crazy. I use to keep the tank covered, but it's open now and doing just as well. That way, it's not shocked when I pull it out and put it in a pot.

Yay this is similar to how mine is grown! I read about using peat layer on the bottom, but was afraid it would start to stink if left for long in water.

Yeah, pure peat is something I've never had any luck with, for anything. It ALWAYS goes anaerobic, and that's no fun at all.

Some attempts at focus stacking. They aren't perfect, some of them are relatively bad, but I'm learning. For example, I've learned that Photoshop does NOT get along with high contrast shots, such as a picture of a Utricularia flower against a pure black background. I don't know why it confuses Photoshop so, but it does. It can't figure out how to align the slices, so it ends up looking awful. I'unno. I should try and get ahold of Helicon Focus and see if it does any better. If not, hopefully CS6 does a better job.

Anywho, here they are. Click for full-size.

I love this picture, but unfortunately I didn't get enough slices. If you look REALLY close (it helps to full-size it), you can find some banding. Whoops.

And this one simply turned out all-together not-so-hot. LOL. Who knows why? I sure don't.

awesome pics! Everything looks great.

Thanks, you two.

Here were today's attempts at focus stacking:
(Click for full size)

And, inspired by both pygo's and Devon's silhouette shots, I decided to get a little creative with my lighting. I was getting impatient and frustrated while taking the shots, but now that I see the results on the big screen, I think I'll put up with it some more... I'm quite happy with the results.

None of these were edited except to add the border and watermark.
And, again, click for full size.

Got a little carried away with this plant; the shape affords a lot of experimentation. LOL.

Back