What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lizasaur

Charlatan
So I'm not in California, but I have a friend who lives in Orange, California and I'm getting her into CPs (she was already fascinated, but I mailed her my copy of The Savage Garden and really did it now :lol:)

Anyway, she's moving to her own place soon and will have a nice yard and so of course, I'm gonna get her some plants to start out with.

My problem is, I have very little grasp on what the climate and conditions are out there...it's my understanding that the humidity and temps swing wildly depending on where exactly in California you're located, so I was wondering if there's anyone in her area and if so, what grows well outside?

Moving plants inside on really hot or cold days is doable, but she doesn't want to have to make terrariums or anything.

She's already picked out alot of what she adores:
Sarracenia flava and purpurea (red form) and leucophylla
sarracenia purpurea x flava
drosera adelae, filiformis, anglica, multifida
pygmy sundews
butterworts
heliamphora

My starter kit to her is gonna be super extra deluxe because I'm sort of a tweak and like covering the full range of variety within anything. So I had drafted out something like this:
s. purpurea, s. minor, s. x dana's delight, s. x scarlett belle (and cause she said so, s. leucophylla, s. flava, s. x catesbaei)
d. adelae, d. filiformis, d. binata, d. spatulata, d. capensis 'all red', d. alicae
p. primuflora, p. moctezume, p. pirouette
n. judith finn, n. ventricosa, n. spect x aristo...POSSIBLY n. singalana, and an ampullaria or amp hybrid.
u. longifolia, u. livida (I totally forget about utrics, I lost the sticky note I made about them. I'd like to get her something aquatic too since I think she'd like a pretty vase assuming it's low maintainence, but otherwise just some terrestrial and sub-terrestrials that have pretty flowers, and not ones that look really similar *nods*)
vft typical, red dragon, dente, cupped trap

Obviously, she won't be getting a heli straight off the bat, lol, but I dunno if one of the hardier ones could survive outside there at some point. Maybe she'll end up with a terrarium someday (I think we all know how that obsession spreads ;)) but I've every intention of giving her a ceph, cobra lily, and heli assuming she does pretty good with the starters.

She might also turn up at the BACPS show :p

Thanks so much for the help and recommendations!
I'm sooo excited about making this happen!
:laaa:

Orange, California, is to the southern part of California, so I can't chime in particularly. If the weather there is like the weather around here (a good drop at night and lots of sun), she shouldn't have many problems and probably a good span of plants to grow. The most important thing I've ever found is to keep things especially wet over the long, hot summers!

The BACPS isn't very close; maybe she should check out the Los Angeles Carnivorous Plant Society as well.

Ooh, I'll tell her about the LACPS, but I meant the big show and sale coming up :p

The Show and Sale will probably be good motivation and plenty of opportunities for pictures. :awesome: I hope I can get to meet your friend sometime. Did you tell her about the forums yet?

Hopefully someone more towards the Orange area can respond as well. :)

I live in walnut, but go to school at Troy High. (Fullerton, in Orange County)
CalState Fullerton has very nice greenhouses ^^.

I have all my sarrs-vfts-some hardy drosera (capensis, filformis..). Tropical drosera are in the shade (less sun), my ventrata is in full sun. I'm still expirementing with the nepenthes in full-sun thing. Have my first trial of acclimating plants going out there soon, so hopefully I can chime back in.

@Clue: Lol, yeah! :awesome: I have told her about the forums a few times, but I think she's waiting to get plants and do more reading before she joins. Or maybe she just doesn't like forums ??? it's possible, I reckon. I'm sure she'll come around eventually though :p She's a total sweetheart and silly, so I'm sure everyone will like her lots if she shows up! (I'm still sad I didn't get to meet you though! Somedayyyy)

@Halt: Oooooh, thank you so much!! :hail:
Could you tell me where are some good local stores that have CP media so I can point her to them? I dunno what yalls have out there >.>

I don't really live around orange. but I go to ace hardwardare for peat, and lowes for spag. :p don't use perlite cause its hard to find here.. i still dunno where.!

Is there anything we can't grow in Socal? :) The plants can be grown outside, no need to bring them in during summer/winter. Orange isn't a desert, so it's all good. There's an awesome farm supply store in the city of Orange, that's where I bought my huge sack of large coarse perlite that has lasted me for several years.

Back