What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone. I have been in the chat and lurking around a bit so thought I'd finally put together an intro thread. I'm just starting to get into carnivores aside from some success with Nepenthes before and a failure with Darlingtonia outdoors over winter some years back. I have a 4ft T5 setup on wire shelving right now and the tentative plan is to eventually wrap it with reflective insulation which I already have a big roll of. For now I have the beginnings of my humble setup. I'm trying to focus on smaller plants so I won't run out of room so quickly but it is difficult to stick to that rule. I've also got a little terrarium with light and fogger hooked up to it to play with. Thank you to all the friendly people who welcomed me to Terraforums on the shoutbox. Well I guess I won't delay much longer - here's some pics.

I really like the Mexican Pinguicula. Only have a few so far. Here's the first one I got P. laueana. I'm liking the way the new growth is looking.
hpnV8pr.jpg

Here's the Pinguicula I like most of the ones I've got, P. jaumavensis. It was cuter than I expected when I got the little thing.
LHPR2lc.jpg

P. cyclosecta
DFwkJ9U.jpg

Here's a rough picture of some Nepenthes ampullaria seedlings. The cotyledons appeared about 2 to 3 weeks after sowing.
pbVuMeW.jpg

Here's the container I have been keeping those seedlings in. The fine green sphagnum is the result of my failed experiment planting drosera seeds into live chopped up sphagnum. Oh well I learned something and got free sphagnum can't complain.
xWTagpp.jpg

Multiplying sphagnum as much as I can in case I'd like to use it as growing medium for things like the Utricularia seeds I'm waiting on.
VGNPazc.jpg

Some Drosera roseana gemmae from LuLuMegan
GShPlnI.jpg

I got this Nepenthes 'Gentle' when it looked kind of sickly with no pitchers. It's put out a few basal offsets now and also has its first pitcher from the larger leaves.
8ZwWmTP.jpg

qi8I99S.jpg

Some ground cherry 'Aunt Molly' seedlings and basil
rdWpljL.jpg

Ground cherry flower
Xpn9y4u.jpg

I've also been getting into growing orchids. Here's Neofinetia falcata
0Sjc5TQ.jpg

Schoenorchis scalopendria
QZVLnIL.jpg

Mediocalcar decoratum
IHJ5aF7.jpg

And grabbed these 4 today at an orchid show.
Rw64Duk.jpg

qmMoyhO.jpg

XvgzmNa.jpg

SLI8yuq.jpg

Group shot of my orchids
sRDnZhM.jpg

And lastly here's a couple of my favorite cacti. First one is Ariocarpus fissuratus
NyelVtt.jpg

And an Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus I grew from seed and grafted twice
VGVQJCT.jpg

Last edited:
A very nice collection, and I dig the red moss! Welcome to TF. I was at the orchid show as well, though I went Saturday.

I was pretty surprised to see a crane fly on that ping. Also, what is that fuzzy stuff on your first succulent?

Welcome to the forum.

Quite a nice collection there!

Thanks for the welcome fellas! Regarding the hair - I believe you are referring to the Ariocarpus fissuratus which is technically a cactus, though it only ever gets very undeveloped spines and as an adult they will never prick ya. The wooly hair grows naturally from the plant. Ariocarpus are small cacti and the one I've got is quite old. I have had it maybe 7 years or so but it could easily be 20, 30, or more years older than that.

Last edited:
Welcome to TF! perhaps we can do a ping trade someday.

Thanks for the welcome fellas! Regarding the hair - I believe you are referring to the Ariocarpus fissuratus which is technically a cactus, though it only ever gets very undeveloped spines and as an adult they will never prick ya. The wooly hair grows naturally from the plant. Ariocarpus are small cacti and the one I've got is quite old. I have had it maybe 7 years or so but it could easily be 20, 30, or more years older than that.

Thanks for the explanation.

has anyone told you that you have good moss? 'cause you do.

Back