What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I believe I got a two-fer

I've watched as my s. leucophylla 'red ruffles' put on more pitchers, and wondered what else I was seeing.

I believe I got a bonus when I bought this plant.

A sundew. This looks like my temperate drosera intermedia growing practically on top of the sarr.

Do I have to separate them? Am I gonna kill one or both if I do?

yep yep, its a capensis alright :p

It shouldn't bother the Sarracenia. The Sarr will grow taller than the dew, and they usually get along just fine.

You actually got a three-fer. See those little round balls on stalks? Those are Utricularia seeds. I suspect either U. subulata, which is cleistogamous and makes seeds without blooming, or U. bisquemata which bloomed and you didn't see the flowers. Congrats!

Pull the grass-like things to the left of the Sarr and slightly above NOW, it's a sedge, and will take over everything.

Gotcha. Will get the sedge out.

Doesn't the d. capensis have to come inside in the winter? The mini bog is staying outside.

Depends on where you live and how big the bog is. I have D. capensis in my Sarracenia that did fine through the winter, and I believe DJ has capensis surviving in her big bogs in Oregon. That Sarr is not a leucophylla by the way, maybe leucophylla x purpurea "Red Ruffles"?

Let us know where you live, (just a city and state is fine)
and we can tell you if you need to separate them or not..

Scot

...Doesn't the d. capensis have to come inside in the winter?...

Not necessarily. According to what I've read, Drosera capensis is capable of entering dormancy, although it is not necessary and most people don't do it. I personally suspect that they want to see their plant all year round.

Depends on where you live and how big the bog is. I have D. capensis in my Sarracenia that did fine through the winter, and I believe DJ has capensis surviving in her big bogs in Oregon. That Sarr is not a leucophylla by the way, maybe leucophylla x purpurea "Red Ruffles"?

You're right. I went back and looked at the invoice.

I'm in central Arkansas, Zone 7b. From what I have read about d. capensis, it only takes winter temps down to about 35-40F. We do have about 60 days in the winter where our temps regularly dip down into the 20s, sometimes the teens. Most often, those nights are followed by temps above freezing, but sometimes not.

The mini bog is in a resin pot 16 inches tall, and 14 inches in diameter. My plan was to take it and the mini bog with the d. intermedia and flytraps and move them down to the ground in a sheltered location, and cover and surround them with pine needles for the winter. Would that be enough to protect the d. capensis?

I'm thinking if I need to separate the plants, I should go ahead and do it before either one gets any bigger, shouldn't I? Or wait for the sarr to start dying back for the winter?

The capensis should do fine where you are with no mulching at all. I'm in zone 5 and I have them come back out in the bog occasionally.

The capensis should do fine where you are with no mulching at all. I'm in zone 5 and I have them come back out in the bog occasionally.

Yay! Thank you. I had already broken out in a cold sweat thinking of having to try not to destroy any roots to separate the plants.

Nope. Should be just fine. The plant may die completely back but as long as it doesn't get any prolonged hard freezes, it should come back every spring and become a total nuisance in your collection.

I'll take it...

Becoming a total nuisance would mean I'm doing something right.

Before winter, take some leaf cutting from the capensis. Then if it doesnt make the winter you will still have the plant :)

I had a few pots of capes freeze solid this winter. I just know they were gone. I tossed all of them out except one pot. Kept the pot to see what would happen. What happened was a ton of capes grew from the roots. I lost a lot of plants :(

Wow...sounds like I need to get me a capensis then. Sounds like not even our cold winters can kill 'em!

I'll be the lone dissenter, here. I would prepare a pot and remove the capensis. It will likely go into shock, as it appears that it too close to the other plants to remove cleanly. However, as long as you get it into the media quickly and kept hydrated, new growth will appear in about a week. I wouldn't chance the winter on it and it's a good general approach to keep like climate plants together (Sarracenias, VFT's,...), while those that are different enough (sub-tropical vs. temperate, should be kept separately. If you take my advice and it dies, I'd be happy to send you replacements and / or seeds!

Back