What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm glad you're back. I don't know you all that well, but I know you enough to see that you're a very experienced cp grower. Welcome back!

-Ben

Welcome back Tamlin! I know I sure missed your posts.Sorry to hear about your bout with celiac,I hope you get relief soon!

Jerry

So many warm welcome backs and plant offers too! Thanks so much guys, you warm my heart.

As to the plant offers, I am only after Utricularia, and nothing rare or difficult as I am not up to the challenge. I've already had more offers than i could accept, and I don't even have trade material. Nice folk here!!!

As to being an expert, pooh on that. I have no degree, have not done herbarium studies and have grown only a few isolated examples of vast populations. I have a good eye for Drosera, but where ranges overlap and hybridization is unrestricted, there are no criteria stable enough to make a determination based on form recognition. I have abandoned all scientific interest in the genus, and care now only for their beauty. My growing advise is generally sound and I have grown (and killed) many species, but all my advise is best guess. Might work for me and not for you. Don't depend on the experts...EXPERIMENT and adopt what works. So many fictions exist because some expert said so...e.g. growing Brasillian Drosera in terraria. (D. montana tomentosa was one of the toughest, drygrowing Drosera in my collection.) Petiolaris can't be propagated by leaf cuttings (So how come Christian Dietz and Pinguiculaman do so?) Then there's the expert advise in when to divide plants....winter for Sarracenia etc etc when in fact the optimal time is when the plant is in optimal growth. So I am not an expert. I don't want my advise to carry more weight than it deserves, but I do pln on giving it for what it's worth. The real experts have letters after their names anyhoo.

It occurs to me I forgot to thank Pyro for his weekly handwritten (imagine that) weekly letters sent. Thanls man, it's good to know you're not forgotten! Friends I got!

To all my old friends and new friends, my deepest thanks for your welcome. My body is sick, but my soul is happy (smiley).

Hi Tamlin!

So great to see you on the forum again! It was always on the back of my mind when you would join us again. Now here you are!
smile.gif

-Homer

It's great to have your presence on these forums, Tamlin. Welcome back.

It's good to see the king return to his kingdom. We are all better off in your presence.

I personally have learned a lot from you, not only plant related. The biggest thing I've learned from you is the "Tamlin Effect". Most people thinks that the "Tamlin Effect" is about sharing plants, but they are wrong. Your biggest gift to me was when I realized that the "Tamlin Effect" is a way of life. To say the least you changed my life.

I lost most of my plants when I moved, so I don't have much to offer you, but if you show me any plant for sale that you want, let me know. It'll be yours.

I'm sure nobody here will object to you posting a list of wanted plants in the trade forum. It's not begging, or even getting them for free, you have already paid for them. With all the plants you've given out for free, you have a huge credit here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Geez it's a wonder anyone remembers me!
We remember you William…with fondness.
PAK kept me updated.
No beer?  No pizza?  No computer?  That is serious denial of basic human rights William.
You are a good person and whatever “Higher Being” you believe in will see you through this.

This is what happens when you try to get fancy with tags that are different from EVERY other site you visit- if the mods could remove this PLEASE do

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 06 2006,9:09)]With all the plants you've given out for free, you have a huge credit here.
AGREED- possibly the least debatable thing I've seen you post in the General Discussion area, Oz-man (kidding, but I DO read your posts carefully, especially with regards to anything that sounds a bit too crazy to be true ;) and even then it isn't always enough)

Tamlin- I finally got some decent pics of that crazy Drosera I was asking you to help me identify- I am pretty sure it's your D.'tamlin' and if it IS, I have WAY too many seeds of it, I would be well pleased if you could ID it once I send you the link (and if it is the species, well, you gotta grow your eponymous plant)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]AGREED- possibly the least debatable thing I've seen you post in the General Discussion area, Oz-man (kidding, but I DO read your posts carefully, especially with regards to anything that sounds a bit too crazy to be true ;) and even then it isn't always enough)

You only have to be careful in the month of March. LOL

Welcome back Tamlin.
smile.gif
Its good to see that you are still around. So sorry to hear about your illness, sounds like not so subtle torture to say the least. Have you been tested for parasites? Seems to me I remember watching a show not long ago where a guy had an unexplained skin problem similar to what you described that turned out to be a parasite.

As for plants, well I am a little thin when it comes to Utrics, I may have a couple really pretty Sarracenia for you though if you are interested.

Cheers
Steve

Back