What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who cares about VA pitcher plants?

Hi Folks:

We met with the landowner of the northern most pitcher plant bog in Virginia yesterday. The bog is a short walking distance from Meadowview. We now have a price from him, $1200.00, for a one year renewable lease on the bog which will allow us to do clearing and bring in visitors. The lease matter is now before our board.

One question the landowner had was:

"How many people are interested or care about the plants in this bog?"

So.. I ask you to comment and tell me if you are interested or care about this bog. We had a story on this site in our 2009 newsletter (see newsletter link at www.pitcherplant.org and read Central VA Preserve story).

Also, please spread the news on this story and have people contact me at meadowview@pitcherplant.org to tell me they care. I will compile the data on who cares and let you know the result.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

I care ! I went there last week but only for a short stop though. didn't find any CP =/

Anybody who likes CPs should care...

... at least I do!

count me in

I CARE, and will be returning several times a year ,I am also trying to get a few people in my area interested, and hope to have them join me.
Please support Meadowview, and make time to visit if you are in any surrounding areas, I would not consider 5 hours one way too much, you'll be very glad you did.
Thanks Phil for all your efforts !:-D

I care!
Which species are there? Just Purp? Or Flava too?

Indigo should have told me, i would have met ya up here just for the hell of it :p

anyways yes i do care and that guy is nuts not seeing the beauty in these plants

I'll be back around mid July next year if anyone wants to join me. It would be nice to meet some of you in person and what better place than at the sarracenia mecca which is Meadowview!

Given the fact that Meadoview's own site says that S. flava populations in Virginia total less than 100 plants I agree that everyone should care.

Wetlands and bogs get such a bum rap because they're "ugly" and a "waste of land". It's too bad people don't see the natural beauty and importance of such ecosystems...

I love to see CPs in nature! If I was close I'd visit quite a bit.

I care.

I may never get to go see, but I care.

Meadowview rocks! I think that Phil is doing what most of us wish we could, he teaches people about CPs and he grows CPs in order to re-introduce them one day into struggling and former CP sites. Don't mistake me, introducing CPs into the wild can have dire consequences (especially when invasive non-native species are introduced) and should not be done by just anyone. But Phil has devoted so much of his time and research to save these awesome plants and sites and I do care about what he's doing -- that's why I'm proud to be one of Meadowview's sponsors. Good luck Phil!

I'll be back around mid July next year if anyone wants to join me. It would be nice to meet some of you in person and what better place than at the sarracenia mecca which is Meadowview!
Maybe! I was just thinking of asking my dad to change vacations plans to include Meadowview. Whether it was on the way down or back, it would likely be a weekend-day (Fri.Sat.Sun)

I go to college in VA and I hope to make a trip this year. Last year not having a car kept me from going but hopefully that will change this year and I'll get to see the plants next spring.

I go to college in VA and I hope to make a trip this year. Last year not having a car kept me from going but hopefully that will change this year and I'll get to see the plants next spring.

I'll drive , let me know when, we'll ride share if its not too far out of the way .
where you going to college ?:-D

Back