What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
So what do you make of these things? Thrips? Mealybugs? Aphids? Springtails? These things have also shown up on my D. adelae but aren't invading any of my other pots... yet.

Sorry to make yet another thread about this. I read through other threads, and there were descriptions, but I could find no pictures - so I'm still not sure what I have!

Depending on what it is, how would you go about treating this stuff? The Savage Garden seems to speak highly of Orthene as a general purpose insecticide. Anyone tried it?

1000000121.JPG

Thanks to SDCPs for these lovely D. capensis "Broad Leaf" plants! Sorry about the unsightly mess on the leaves... I just fed my plants last night.

OMG is that whitefly?! :puke:

Well, these things don't move at all. They just kinda sit there and look ugly. By your reaction I'd guess that whitefly is a particularly bad pest to have? What would I do about it?

I have those on some of my drosera too.. I have to spray them with some kinda of pesticide or something. D:

that sounds right if u say that dont move.......get some insecticide good for cp, i use one with pyrethrin as an active ingredient, it worked for the aphids i had on my vft

Yup, that would be the shed skin of aphids. That sucks, they can be very difficult to get ride of. Neem or a CP safe pesticide will do the trick. You need to spray the plants religiously with what ever you use. If you look closely (or wait until they get larger) you'll see little green bugs. They look kinda like very small crickets. They blend in really well but I think I can pick a few out in the pic. More then likely they came with the plant.

make sure you douse the soil as well to get rid of any eggs and bugs there as well, def. seperated it from the rest of ur plants in the meanwhile.

Very true. Always treat the soil too. If it were me I would leave the plant where it is and treat all plants. They have likely spread ( you have found them on one other plant already). Treating everything ensures they don't just hop plants.

make sure you douse the soil as well to get rid of any eggs and bugs there as well, def. seperated it from the rest of ur plants in the meanwhile.

If I ever see any sort of pest, I insta-pesticide the plant and at least 5 pots/plants around it just to be sure, for at least a month if not two, religiously, once a week.

A nice high-res close-up clearly showing the culprit pests would be good. I agree with other earlier posters, that they may be whitefly or possibly cast-off aphid skins (exoskeletons). Neither are very good, and can be disastrous for the D. capensis plants.

Here is a good pic of aphids and their shed skin.

VariousAphids1.jpg

Frilleon...that's what my nightmares are made out of :eek:...where's the smiley for I just peed in my pants...

My goodness, they are absolutely SWARMing... :(

Unlike pitcher plants, dews usually react poorly to most pesticide treatments ime. Of the systemics, pesticides containing imidacloprid seem to have less nasty impact than others. Neem (as mentioned) is favored by many but I don't believe it is systemic.

For a truly benign approach, consider CO2 treatment w/ dry ice. I'm just finishing a treatment because I received aphids in a trade.

In addition, you probably want to get in the habit of closely inspecting your plants on a regular basis. You are fortunate that your plant is robust so it has withstood this attack very well. Other plants could be mostly dead by this stage. Also, other pests may be significantly less obvious than this.

Alright - looks like it's an aphid infestation then. Phwar! OK, I need to go find me some pesticides stat. I read on AllExperts that Ortho brand systemic insecticide is safe on sundews. That should be easy for me to find.

These little suckers are gonna burn!!! :censor:

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

After trying avariety of appraoches to aphids (CO2, drowning, Bayer Rose stuff....) I found that the Neem oil application worled the best. I haven't seen any sign of the pests since the repeated application.

I read on AllExperts that Ortho brand systemic insecticide is safe on sundews. That should be easy for me to find.
I'm not familiar with "AllExperts" but unless Ortho changed the formulation (& kept the name):

- Ortho Systemic has been pulled from the market (I believe the active acephate has been banned)
- will typically cause a negative reaction when used on dews (killing some)
- has a horrendous odor & toxicity to people is not good (aka: not the ideal stuff for indoor use)

Back