What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking the plunge - My first Cephalotus

Brrrrrrrrr! It always throws me off when I walk outside of a building and its colder than the inside.
You've probably got really good coniditions to grow cephs where you are. How long have you had yours? Any tips for me on keeping this guy happy?

Has been going for 3 years got as a leaf cutting. Not sure how well they grow in the full sun conditions in Kula. Made guesses that they might not be happy with all my UV light so i have them in the greenhouse protected from the sun and excessive UV light. Have them planted in a really coarse chunky media to be well drained and top dressed with live sphagnum and in a tray. occasional top watered... i sort of have broken all the rules. This is the ultimate YMMV plant. Hard to say how things will work out interactions with climate and person's growing style/conditions vary too much to make generalizations....

yes , it looks like it neede to be wetter and maybe a small dome made from a clear plastic cup, you can put a small hole in it every few days till it acclimates , i keep my cephs very wet. just make sure not to top water to much or maybe not at all till you get used to what it needs.
the lids will open again if you get it rehydrated.
i never let my light period go much under 10 or 9 hours a day if mine are trying to drop the lids.
mine is sleeping now but i even top water most of the time and keep a little live sphag around new ones till they are growing strong, just not touching the leaves or pitchers you can put it under the little dome for humidity, till the lids open back up. are you using any supplimental light?

here is a hummer that is sleeping, i grow regular and other varieties all the same.

hope you dont mind the pic.:blush:

IMG_0852.jpg

I welcome the pics! :) The more the merrier and good inspiration!

Thanks for the advice, I added a clear cup on top. Hopefully itll get the humidity back up until this cool dry spell we've had this past week goes away. As for the supplimental lighting, I don't have any because its growing outside, but I think I still fall within the 10 hours of sunlight where I live.

Can you describe a little more how you have the live sphag around the baby ones? I don't have any live sphagnum (tried forever to get the dead stuff to come alive, no luck), do you think the dried will work just as good?

Dried sphag will do fine. just soak it then make
a small pile all around the ceph clump. then gently push your doam/plastic cup over the whole
thing. make a hole in your cup after say three days. you can use a hole punch if you have one
then again in a few more days. after you get 6 or 7 holes you can probably remove it just keep am eye on the lids. put the cup back if they drop for a while longer.

Um... Be carefull about baking it unter that cup. You don't want it in full sun outside if you're going to keep it under a cup. You may well cook it to death...

Cephs are very succeptable to transplant shock and will often drop their lids for several weeks after transplanting, so just give it time. You might want to consider bringing it inside in a windowsill or under artificial lights until it recovers some and starts puting on some good new growth, as outside conditions can be a bit harsh for a plant that is trying to acclimate. Let it get a leg up on the transplant shock first, and then move it outside. Just my two cents..

I wouldn't try to make any cuttings at that size. Wait for mature pitchers before you try that. I doubt immature pitchers would have much of a chance of striking, but I haven't tried it. I have found that pitchers make great cuttings, with a near 100% success rate for me.

Ok, here's a picture from day three. I've added some damp sphagnum around it, brought it inside and covered it with a cup to get the humidity up. It seems to be helping, about half of the pitchers have opened up again.

As you can see though, three of them have turned yellow. I'm guessing this may be due to some sphagnum and peat from the shipping getting into the pitchers? Since it was only these three that got some inside and its only these three that are yellowing. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but its my guess for now....

There's also a new pitcher showing up there in between the front two yellow pitchers. Here's to hoping it developes into a nice new one!
DSC_0052_zpsacaca437.jpg

It looks pretty good. Cute little guy.

Personally I would have left it in the pot it came in until it had acclimatised. The plant will already be trying to acclimatise to different conditions and disturbing the root system will make that more difficult.

Although I did transfer it without disturbing the soil or roots, I think that leaving it in the pot it came in would've been a good idea. Next time around, I'll be doing that because I could've disturbed something that I didn't think I did.

Excellent suggestion! ;)

OK, here's a picture update:

Despite the three yellowing pitchers (two have shrunk to nothing already) it looks like its well on it way to recovering. I now have two more pitchers developing and the third one mentioned in the previous post is starting to get bigger. You can see it on the right hand side behind the front yellowing pitcher. Yay for new growth! :)

I've been watching these new ones develop and they've been growing much quicker than I expected. So I've started a stop motion video of their growth. Hopefully in a month I'll have a cool video to share

DSC_0349_zpsc1b9299c.jpg

I was thinking of feeding one of the pitchers with something to kick start it a bit. Not sure if that would help or stress it out more. Any recommendations?

I would not recommend feeding the pitcher with anything. The plant is just starting to recover, so best to leave it for now. At most, you could try a very dilute foliar feed spray, but I wouldn't. Keep an eye on that dried moss too, as it is probably doing nothing to help the plant but could potentially grow mold if the humidity is high.

I'll also keep my eye out for any mold as well.

What a difference a different perspective can make. I was taking pictures for my other thread and went to take one of the ceph and came around from behind it instead. It looks so much healthier from this angle :-D

DSC_0454_zps7c41e451.jpg

Yes, I think I can see three healthy pitchers and another on the way from that angle.

What a difference a different perspective can make. I was taking pictures for my other thread and went to take one of the ceph and came around from behind it instead. It looks so much healthier from this angle :-D

DSC_0454_zps7c41e451.jpg

In another year, you are likely going to have something like this as your reward:
20121224-085147.jpg

Those are all adult pitchers, as much as 2" tall, and the plant now spans about 8" across. In June of 2011 it was about the same size as yours is now. I'm sure yours will be spectacular in a years time as well! Good luck.

Wow!! I can only hope that mine looks that awesome in a year!! :-O

I love your pot too. Looks almost like mine :)

Sad News..... well not totally sad, but another set back for Kermit. Yesterday he got whacked with the sleeve of a sweater being thrown by my BF :( So his newest pitcher was decapitated (you can see it lying on the soil on the bottom left) and killed a bigger one as well (the yellow smushed one)......

Before (top), After (bottom)
074366E8-BCA7-449A-BA4F-64DBDA690463-31851-00001F63EF9CB818.jpg

Luckily other than these two it doesn't look like much damage was done to the main plant. It did however put a stop to my stop-motion video, which is too bad because it was coming along nicely. So, here is the very short version of the video.... Its a total of 21 days.... :)

Edit: sorry about the quality of the video, I swear it looks better on the computer. Photobucket made it very glitchy :/

Hmm must be white stoneware, the dust was a tad more grey, not pure white. I wish I had spent more time in the ceramics studio! I was always in the drawing and painting rooms instead.

I do have a question about the cephalotus. When does it make leaves? Is it based upon season or age?

Cephalotus grows leaves based on season. They usually shoot new leaves out in the spring and grow pitchers in the summer. Good luck with the new plant!

Well, I've finally moved the cephalotus outside and he seems to be doing ok after his run in with the sleeve. Its getting a little bit of a sunburn on the older leaves, but nothing too bad. I did notice its most recent pitcher is twice the size of the one that emerged before it. I'm hoping it'll be a big pitcher! Well, at least a biggER pitcher :)

If you look at the two newest leaves/pitchers sticking up in the middle, the one of the left is actually newer than the little one on the right..
86A7F6BC-76FE-4460-B9E8-3F0D99BDC8E5-9938-000008F8DA6E60DC.jpg

Here's to hoping this guy does better with more light, I think he had too little bit before when I had him inside.

Taking the ceph outside might be very good for the plant. It was great for this plant (not mine BTW). I think that you will find that after the plant grows a bit out if its 'baby stage' it starts to grow exponentially and gets huge. Good luck growing this one keep updates coming!

Back