What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking the plunge - My first Cephalotus

I think he likes being outside :)

DSC_4613_zps510babe8.jpg

He's getting leaves!! :boogie:

DSC_4621_zps90c0d784.jpg

Hope your plant continues to grow well and continue to see new growth. Remember when i first saw a leaf about a two months ago and was so proud....

Lol. I would have my ceph outside if it wasn't like twenty degrees out!

Well, Kermit hasn't been doing too great the past two weeks. There seems to be some type of fuzzy white stuff (fungi?) growing on it and the older pitchers are dying off much quicker than before. Its still pumping out new leaves and pitchers but they're just not lasting.

I've tried for the past two weeks to spray with Neem, but its not helping or getting rid of the fuzz. Anyone might know what this is and how to treat?

DSC_4956_zps12b28bd5.jpg

May be mildew, I don't know for sure and you may want to ask mobile

is it open to the elements and in good sun,fungus normally dislikes either ,

Tell us a little about the conditions it is currently in.

It's currently growing on the north side of the house. It gets pretty bright non direct light all day and direct light for about 4 hrs in the PM. 70-90% humidity depending on the day.

Here's a pic of the setup

C85AD3DE-27F2-486E-9A1E-9523E28B970A-8561-000009E16CE54675_zps00d03823.jpg

have seen the fuzzy stuff also. fungal. looked like a very large over grown powdery mildew...

I had a persistent white/beige fuzz on my Cephalotus and Sarracenia. It would leave red bruises on the pitchers where the fuzz was. I got rid of it with systemic fungicides like Cleary 3336 or tebuconozole. Neem or hydtogen peroxide would control it for 2-4 weeks. Sulfur 1-2 months. Trichoderma only made it worse - uncontrollable with Neem or sulfur. That's when I brought out the big guns - systemic fungicides.

Thanks guys for the advice :). I do have a question though, where do you typically find fungicides like Cleary 3336 or tebuconozole? I haven't been able to find it at the local stores. Is this something I should probably be buying online?

Cleary's isn't a consumer level product so you won't find it on the shelves. Try an agricultural supply. There are a few places online that sell it but the minimum amount they sell will cover many acres. Same goes for Agricultural supply. And they may not ship it to your state. Tebuconozole is available at most garden centers as Bayer Advanced Disease Control for Roses, flowers and shrubs.

Thank you! This seems to have done the trick :)
With the Neem it would be back full blast within a day or so but I sprayed it two days ago with the Bayer Advanced and there's still no sign of the mildew.

Phew!:boogie:

Very happy I found this thread and can see your progress with your ceph.
I got mine about a month ago and after several weeks of shock (cross country to deep LA south heat/humidity) and a loss of all but one pitcher, I'm seeing new growth!
Keep up the good work!

Well, the mildew is gone but Kermit isn't too happy about being sprayed. It was my fault though, I think I sprayed too much and all the leaves got burned :(
Contrary to what he looks like in the pics he's not completely dead. I hope he pulls through despite his horrible owner......

Last edited:
Thanks jgivs! :) I hope yours works out well for you!

Sad to report, but not surprising, it looks like Kermit didn't make it :(

That's strange, I've never had any problem with Bayer advanced burning my plants. Then again, I've never tried it on my Cephalotus...Sorry you lost the plant, but it happens to the best of us. Time to try again ;)

That's strange, I've never had any problem with Bayer advanced burning my plants. Then again, I've never tried it on my Cephalotus...Sorry you lost the plant, but it happens to the best of us. Time to try again ;)

Yeah I dunno, I don't think it was just one thing that did Kermit in, it was just a accumulation of a bunch of things I wasn't doing right. If he was healthy and the conditions were right he wouldn't have gotten the mildew in the first place. Plus he was just so small, I think it was too much for the little guy to handle at once.

But I have a few ideas on improving and changing the conditions for my next attempt. We'll see if I can get ahold of another one without breaking the bank ;) Maybe if I'm lucky I'll find some leaf pullings instead.

Back