What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

While trekking through through the wetlands surrounding the pond near my house I found large amounts of sphagnum moss. The area had very sandy soil, constant water, and lots of sun. It is a beautiful area, except it has been neglected greatly. There is trash everywhere, and people used the area as a dumping ground in the 70's. There are no cps but there are other bog plants like xyris. I am thinking of starting a project to clean it up and to protect it. There are no cps, but there probably were a long time ago. I would like to plant some Purpureas, utrics like inflata, and drosera like filiformis, intermedia, and rotundifolia. I will post pics in spring.

@nep: be careful when introducing "new" species into an ecosystem. much research as to go into this, as well as government approval, especially if dealing with public property. how do you know if CPs used to grow here? would be good to go into research and see if past history records indicate that your assumptions are valid. worst case scenario, there could be endangered sarracenia present there that you might not know about and introducing purpurea there can cause them to hybridize and you could end up losing the endangered population--such a case happened in TX where someone introduced some leucophylla in an area that had alata. hybridization occured, and number of pure alata dwindled....

you are much better off just cleaning the bog and leaving it be. you might never know---that could give the native cps the advantage they need. :)

@nep: be careful when introducing "new" species into an ecosystem. much research as to go into this, as well as government approval, especially if dealing with public property. how do you know if CPs used to grow here? would be good to go into research and see if past history records indicate that your assumptions are valid. worst case scenario, there could be endangered sarracenia present there that you might not know about and introducing purpurea there can cause them to hybridize and you could end up losing the endangered population--such a case happened in TX where someone introduced some leucophylla in an area that had alata. hybridization occured, and number of pure alata dwindled....

you are much better off just cleaning the bog and leaving it be. you might never know---that could give the native cps the advantage they need. :)

I second that.

Drosera seeds can lie dormant for years, so they may pop up once the place is cleaned up a bit.

Drosera may be present but you may not notice the winter buds due to their shape and lack of red coloring. The easiest way to spot CPs is during their flowering season, otherwise an inexperienced CP seeker could be trodding on the very plants they are looking for without even knowing it.

Originally Posted by amphirion

you are much better off just cleaning the bog and leaving it be. you might never know---that could give the native cps the advantage they need.

MATO77429:
I second that.

I 'third' that.

The owner obviously does not care about the property. I live in a homeowners community and the site is right in the middle of it. It is surrounded by thick brush and oaks and invasive Rubus phoenicolasius. I have already made some cleanup efforts. While at the location I made sure I did not step on any sphagnum (which was very hard to accomplish) and could not detect any drosera hibernacula or even utricularia. I am planning to go back in June and hopefully there will be a few plants then.

While I tend to agree with not messing with nature,
I sometimes think we can get to be a bit over-reactive with things.
As long as man has inhabited this planet, he has altered the environment.

Many of the so called "natural" stands of carnivorous plants (especially in our area here)
are growing where they are as a result of people altering the environment.
Sundew (orchids, etc.) growing in old abandoned railroad ditches that were dug
generations ago. Same for abandoned building sites that were left when the big city stopped expansion ...around the time the depression hit or before.

There is a lot of incidences where man has screwed up his environment,
and also some where he actually helped it.
I am not for recommending that people run out & start planting plants all over,
as that will likely spell disaster.
However I do realize there are times where it can work out for the best.

Again, I am not saying people here should go out planting things in the wild... not by any means. I am just suggesting that we may need to look outside the box once in a while.

However in the case of having kids randomly deciding to plant some CPs in the local bog,
I wholeheartedly agree that it can have real bad consequences on the native plants.

I think we all want an environment where CP's will be growing in the wild for generations to come. I hope we are all smart enough & yet all open enough to be willing to do (or not do) whatever is necessary to make that happen.

Good Luck all.
:water:

I know for sure the land was a large wetland before it was developed. The present development is even called Windsor Ponds. I have searched the entire property and have found no CPs and only about 20 species of native plants. The closest thing to a true bog plant I found was Rhexia, and I do not even know if that genus is native to NJ. The entire area is dominated by the following plants-
- Rubus phoenicolasius- lots of it
-Urtica dioica
-some species of grass that is very vigorous and invasive
- toxicodendron radicans
- not really a plant but algae- it takes up almost the entire pond in the summer
I am specifically looking for seeds from plants from close locations- I would not go plant a venosa in a site in NJ. I will look again in the summer and hopefully find at least one species, which would eliminate the need for introduction. By the way, there are hardly any native species left there, so I do not think the introduction of a single species would make much of a difference.

I re plant areas suitable for but lacking carnivorous plants and native orchids all the time. I'm always careful to use plants from within a short distance of the area I'm planting though. I've successfully replanted natural and man made boggy areas with Drosera intermedia, Drosera rotundifolia, Saracenia purpurea purpurea, Utricularia macrohiza, Utricularia inflata and, several local orchid species. Rhexia is native to NJ. I've found it growing wild as far north as NH, although the northern forms are much shorter and more stunted looking than the forms I've seen in the south.

@cthulu
I have found various bog plants such as rhexia there. They have even colonized my artificial bog.
I would like to resurrect this thread because I have now done more research on the area and have discovered much more suitable places. There are massive pristine mats of sphagnum scattered along the ground and there is shallow water in between. It is very sunny in most spots and is surrounded by a thick barrier of button bushes, blueberries, and various other shrubs. I will try to take a few good photos, but it is very extensive and is hard to capture in a few photos. We have found no drosera or anything at all and have checked very thoroughly. I think it would be a good idea to at least put a few seeds of plants from nearby locations. Please give me your feedback.

Pretty inactive here my good man... I will make a new thread in reference to this with your post's same content.

Back