What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Tubby wubby" is in fact the correct Latin terminology describing stout, trunk-like appendages.
It's all 'bout botanical correctitudinality.
Does the cape primrose go by any other names? I have a similar (or maybe identical) looking plant known as "Flying Violet" or Streptocarpella.
I've heard Monkey Face flower, or just the latin name (Streptocarpus). Or simply, since we're being botanically correct here, "that pretty purple thingie in the hanging basket"

The H. minor picture links, are most impressive. To see pictures of peoples heli's in pots and then to see that thing growing with out restrictions or in a box is just awesome. I have always wanted to try one, but no matter what do think i could ever achive that in my house, lol. thanks for sharing

The stuff that supports all of the fun plants is biological research, mostly with the intent of understanding genetics or improving crop plants. Every room within each greenhouse of the complex houses a unique project. At times I handle up to a couple dozen professors' projects simultaneously.

It doesn't look quite as spectacular as CPs. Case in point is corn:

While they're just green and monotonous, they are worth several million dollars.

Sunflowers being subjected to an array of simultaneous stresses including drought, salt, heavy metals, herbivory, and frost. I am probably one of very few people in the country to have seen firsthand what lead, arsenic, and cadmium toxicity look like.

Morning glories being used to understand how different genders evolved in plants:

I've heard Monkey Face flower, or just the latin name (Streptocarpus). Or simply, since we're being botanically correct here, "that pretty purple thingie in the hanging basket"

Thanks! It sounds like if they aren't the same flower, they are closely related. They sell it at garden centers here as an annual.

Can't pick a favorite, all look fantastic. I do keep going back and looking at the S. minor though, haha.

It's December, so there isn't much happening. Most of the plants are semi-dormant.

EXCEPT THE ANT PLANTS!!

One of the more interesting caudexes.

Myrmecodia tuberosa makes delicious orange snotberries. The insides taste like honey but have a goopy, mucus-y texture. I would hate to be any bird or other creature whose diet mainly consists of snotberries.

My best hand-raised plant, 3 years old. It's flowering and setting fruit far before its siblings.

Wrong lighting, but there's a whole row of them.

Different baby.

Dischidia collyris, an ant plant in the Milkweed family. An epiphyte, and native to India. The leaves hug against trees and branches. The purplish undersides produce absorption glands. Aerial roots also pop out in the nice, humid chambers created between the leaf and tree. It's also where the ants live.

'Bout to flower.

Dischidia major. In this species, the leaves are actually hollow. Full of glands and roots on the inside. This is a 6-month-old cutting, so I hope to grow this plant out to a massive specimen.

The Sensitive Plant. A classic that never gets old.

SMACK!!!!

A Christmas Cactus I've had for more than ten years. One of the first plants I ever owned.

Seemannia sylvatica. My favorite gesneriad.

Black-Eyed Susan Vine

I am generally not a fan of big, frilly, girlie orchids. But this Cattleya is AMAZING. If you know the ID or possible species used to produce this plant, please let me know. It's currently a NOID. It smells FANTASTIC!

One spike last year, three this year!

The Myrmecodia are looking terrific !

And lastly, the CPs:

A duel between D. burmannii (the intention of the flat) and capensis

N. x miranda

capensis Botrivier, ZA (a national park in ZA), from ICPS seed, if you bought any it came from these guys. They seem smaller and paler than other typicals. Exceptionally heat tolerant, too, because I had them outside this summer, and my other clones of capensis died from the heat.

Line of all the different capensis

D. allantostigma... producing an absolutely excessive amount of gemmae. It already made twice this much.

This D. regia is one of the plants I prize the most. Raised from dormant root cuttings that John B. sent me last December.

My goal in approaching it in cultivation was to have good leaf retention and ensure that all leaves remained green. I didn't want any yellow or black, and I'm happy to say the plant seems ridiculously happy. Not bad for one year of growth, right?

natalensis

Ceph seedling, 1 1/2 yrs

U longifolia. Had it about a month, treated it for various deficiencies, and now the new leaves are perfect and green. Every prior leaf was brown at the tips.

U. reniformis. Same deal, 1 month in my care. Old leaves were in bad shape, new leaves are 3x the size and beautifully clean.

Example of the old leaves

Full plant. I am so ridiculously excited to get this to flower.

pot of green albomarginata babies, from the Atlanta Botanical Garden

I was told this was a "Lantern Alata." True? Regardless, I like it a lot. Whole plant purple and dark.

'Red Leopard' (thanks, Judy!!)

P. ehlersiae

I gave the bical a giant new pot full of fresh media today. I aim to make this plant the biggest and most spectacular specimen on the east coast. The plant is ~5 years old and was half-frozen to a single bud during shipment from the Czech Republic. I nursed this thing for months until I got an offshoot. Then I spoiled it rotten.

Beautiful plants!

The so-called "Lantern Alata" is 'Rebecca Soper'. The people who sell them just seem to be too lazy to correct the name.

NOID, if you have an idea please let me know

Coelogyne cristata

My favorite and most vigorous Phal

D. adelae (from Dragonseye--thanks buddy!)

newly acquired U. quelchii sporting a new, healthy green leaf! YESSSSSSS!

S. oreophila "Sand Mountain Clone 4" x leucophylla F1, Baldwin Co., AL, 2 months old

And now for some research crop shots:

Amborella trichopoda seedlings. Amborella is the only representative of a sister lineage to flowering plants. New Caledonia endemic, where it's a small understory tree. Not only rare to begin with, but New Caledonia makes it very difficult to obtain plants. Hardly anyone in the country has grown live specimens of this plant. It is immensely scientifically important because of the novel genes it has.

I have a project right now where the researcher is interested in Passiflora incarnata. He collected specimens throughout its native range and is studying how this relates to the species' interaction with the Gulf Fritillary and how that impacts secondary defense compounds.

Another project with the Louisiana Iris species complex. Studying hybridization. This researcher has written a very well-regarded genetics textbook.

Some are more than 6 feet tall.

....with more than 2-foot rhizomes

My favorite out of ~500 plants, best color IMO and flower production. These are not for ornamental breeding, however.

Iris fulva hybrid or backcross

Clear evidence of artificial hybridization

Another fav

Last edited:
You have an awesome job, Kevin..

Wow! Very nice plants. Love the pink irises.

When I grow up, I'd like to work in such a cool environment:)

Last edited:
Great place, I'd be happy with merely wandering around there for an hour or three.

Window box I did along the entrance to one of my research greenhouses. I like for people to see real plants before they see research.... like Arabidopsis, for example. This box is full of Crassulaceae and the big one is Echeveria gigantea.

Asclepiad box

P. gigantea

A NOID I think may be a moranensis hybrid

ehlersiae

colony

agnata

'Pirouette' (thanks, Chris!)

blurry cyclosecta (again, thanks!)

'Aphrodite'

baby ehlersiae

apologize for the blur, but this is jaumavensis

these are all giganteas from the ICPS seedbank manager. They're doing awesome!

It took me 5 years to concoct a Mexican Ping mix that works for my climate.

Last edited:
NoID Orchid is Coelogyne cristata, or a hybrid involving it. I'm surprised to see such a nice one in GA, this is a definite "highland-ultrahighland" orchid. I never noticed that one back at UGA.

Back