What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowe's rescue sundew - what is it?

I can't for the life of me identify what kind of sundew this is. Does anyone know?

It doesn't look too awful, but it's certainly not it's healthiest.

I think plant karma must exist - I did two rescues today and I got bonuses both times (the ping had a cluster of seedlings). In this pic you can see the extra smaller drosera in the back.

Hi Valydius -

Looks to be a struggling Drosera adelae. They definitely like shade for some of the day, so make sure you don't put it in full sun... or else you'll fry it. You can tell if D. adelae is thriving if the leaves start to turn a light red color. They also tend to like more humidity.

Etiolated Drosera Adelae.

-Matt

Edit: Baylorguy beat me to it!

hey all my adelae came from lowes they started out like that.
With good care they will look like this. I have to get to bed I will find a picture later.

Don't toss the adelae quite yet. Who knows... maybe there will be some plantlets.

Yep, D. muscipula's has a nice, healthy tan. Look at the red. A healthy D. adelae really is a beautiful plant.

Don't toss the adelae quite yet. Who knows... maybe there will be some plantlets.

I had a D. adelae from Lowe's and I cut the entire plant off at the roots. Shortly there after I had several (and I mean several!) plants sprouting up at the roots. It will be fine. Just give it lots of light.

xvart.

this is adelae in process of recovering and to become like DM's adelae. if DM remembers i asked him the same exact question and my adelae looks exactly like yours. i mean 95% resemblance

i'm a bad photographer, but it looks almost like yours, with the exception of alot of dews, and tip of the dews turning red. the new one are completely red though. those brownish red one are the old one that died back.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep at it and I'm sure it will recover in time.

yeah, My d. aldalae died but now i have about 3 plantlets sprouting from the roots :) but who knows? maybe yours will recover. Give it good light and water.

D. Adelae is pretty much unkillable. Some little root or stump buried in your media will always pop up when you're least expecting it.

The adelae in the photo did not recover; it was too wrecked. I went with xvart's suggestion and cut it just above the roots, and put it in the well-lit terrarium where the higher humidity is. Here's hoping.

The other adelae has some drier looking leaves that can't won't create dew; however, it's already created one new dewy leaf and is visibly in the (wow fast) process of opening two more.

If there is a will then there is a way. :}

i rescued a lowes adleae about a month ago cut the dead plant off and have 6-7 new plants all about an inch in diameter already

Back