What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Got a Sarracenia. What Kind? Dormancy This Year?

In July of '08, I got my first pitcher plants, and kept them inside by a sunny window all winter, and then outside since then. So I skipped that dormancy. But I just got a new pitcher plant today at Lowe's, and I have a couple questions.

1.) What kind is it? It doesn't look like the others I have.

IMG_4042.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

2.) Would it be a bad idea to skip its dormancy this winter and have it grow inside? I'm afraid (I don't know why) that it might be a shock to go from the death cube right into the cold of outside. All my other plants have been outside every day and only brought in one night so far this summer and fall, so they've been easing into this dormancy thing like they're supposed to.

Please advise! Thanks :)

1) To me it looks like a S. x Judith hindle with poor colouration in it, or S. x dana's delight.

2) I would just give it dormancy, but I'm not really sure...

Judith Hindle. I would say give it dormancy, but put it under a table the first day or so.

Letting it go dormant is like buying a toy and then putting it in storage for 4 months :-( But if that's what's best....

i would just treat it like your others, putting it in a sunny window for the winter. it's not temps that trigger dormancy, but photoperiod. since it's a TC plant and in a lowes cube, i'm sure its biological clock is all messed up. it may not go dormant at all, which shouldn't be a problem at this stage. i'd stick it outside as soon as possible in the spring, and with a full growing season under it's belt, it should behave normally and sleep next winter. oh, and like the others have said, i'm pretty sure it's a judith hindle that just needs a bit more light.

Letting it go dormant is like buying a toy and then putting it in storage for 4 months :-( But if that's what's best....

thats why you shouldnt buy toys right before nap time. ;)

Scot

I couldn't resist! I'd never seen that kind there before! :-(

yeah I know..I probably would have done the same thing! ;)
and if you didnt buy it, it probably would have just died from neglect at Lowes..
so you probably saved its life! :)

(I cant believe im saying this..since I am the "dormancy nazi" here) ;)
but since its a new death-cube plant, I agree its "clock" is probably a mess..
it has no idea what time of year it is, and is not properly prepared for dormancy..
so it might be better to leave it on the windowsill all winter, (rather than the real dormancy of your other plants) then put it outside in the Spring, and then it will have a full season outside and will be properly prepared for dormancy a year from now..

its probably too late in the season to prepare it for dormancy by putting it outside now..
we only have a week or two more that the plants can be outside..thats not enough time..

Scot

It's too bad you don't know the age... it looks young, and if it is under 2 years old you could probably skip dormancy. To be safe though, I would put it through dormancy.

I know what you mean about not being able to play... I just got my Leah Wilkerson and Okee giant and both are dormant :( Here's to the spring! lol

It looks like a S. 'Judith Hindle' but wait until it shows its full coloration during the growing season in the sun.

The acrylic coffin plants are almost all grown from tissue culture. Its probably not more than 8 months out of the flask from the first explant. Probably at least 3/4 of its life so far has been under 24 hour artificial lighting and strictly controlled temperatures and humidity. The plant is going to need at least one growing season to get in sync with your climate and photoperiod.

Skip dormancy. You people are too hung up on dormancy. Yes, for most temperate carnivorous plants dormancy is required for the long term health of the plant. By long term we're talking 2-3+. People don't seem to get past the word required. Your plants are not going to keel over and die suddenly in the spring if you miss on dormancy period.

I bought this Sarracenia at Lowe's on New Year's Eve 2006. From it's appearance it turns out to be a S. 'Judith Hindle'. It was not dormant when I bought it. I just kept it on a west facing windowsill in my heated living room until March.

7 Jan 2007 in original 3 inch pot
03980018.jpg

11 Feb 2007
02030006.jpg

18 Feb 2007
02030029.jpg

02030027.jpg

18 May 2007 - I repotted before moving outdoors, turns out there were two plants. This is one of them
P5180101.jpg

20 Oct 2009 - notice the flowers. Mighty unhealthy for not having dormancy the first year don't you think?
PA200074.jpg

NAN - I agree with you. In fact, I believe a recent article in ICPN discussed strategies on how to boost young pitcher plants (under 2 years old) through dormancy with Osmocote fertilizer pellets. I have a young Sarracenia leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White' plant that is now under T5s and is being fertilized and will skip dormancy. Using this strategy should yield strong growth. I will however start putting it through dormancy next year.

Just so we're all on the same page, I don't do this with my adult specimens. Only the young ones.

wow, thats I big sarr recovery!

Not a Number did you just skip the first year of dormancy or all of them?

How can I tell the difference between Daina's Delight (is that really how it's spelled?) and Judith Hindle? I looked at pics of both, and at my plant, and can't tell a difference really.

L0YR7l.png

v8A2El.png

THp8xl.png

It is daina... As for the difference, Daina is white, hot pink, then very dark... JH is just white, then slowly goes to burgundy, rarely ever hot pink... lowes only sells(that i know of) judith hindle...

This may help you to distinguish them. Towards the bottom, center of the picture you have Judith Hindle and towards, the right you can see Daina's Delight:

9-15-08-bog01.jpg

Daina's Delight is taller and the hoods are curved more to cover the pitcher, and Judith Hindle is shorter and the hoods stick up more?

I would say you have a Judith Hindle because
a. your lids stick straight up and are ruffly
b. Dana's Delight has white spots and red veins, which you don't have, while Judith Hindle has lots more reddish veins and red/green/white smeared lids without the white spots

Here are some young/small pitches just opening - lids of both (from the back)
Judith Hindle:
P3190258.jpg

Dana's Delight:
P3190263.jpg

(kinda rufflier than usual on this one because the lid hasn't finished opening and coming down)

Are "Daina's Delight" and "Dana's Delight" two different plants?
or is one just a misspelling that has become semi-official?
(Google brings up both)

I have always believed (and someone correct me if this is wrong) that it's spelled "Dana's Delight" (I have never heard of "Daina" until this thread today) and that Dana's Delight is a pure blooded S. leucophylla with unusual red coloring..

Also that S. leucophylla 'Red' and 'Dana's Delight' are one and the same, but someone gave it a cultivar name and thats how we have Dana's delight..

While 'Judith Hindle' is very much a complex hybrid, which clearly has some leucophylla in it, but is clearly not a pureblooded leuco at all, and its exact parentage is in fact unknown..

is any of that incorrect?

thanks,
Scot

It is my understanding that the original name for the cultivar was "Daina's Delight" but most people mispelled it "Dana's Delight" and that's how that mistake got perpetuated (Aldrovanda anyone?). The rightful cultivar name should be "Daina's Delight"

Daina's Delight is sometimes also called "Leucophylla Red" due to the fact that it strongly resembles leuco but infused with a lot more red color - which darkens with age. However the name would suggest a variety of a pure species - which it is not and is therefore wrong.

Judith Hindle is a complex cross and I've heard several stories as to how it was created - It is clear that leuco and purp have gone into the mix however who's to say what else is in there.

Back