What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In need of an indoor-safe insecticide that works on aphids.

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
Stupid aphids somehow got to my drosera shelf. Anyone ever been in this situation, and if so what insecticide did you use to get rid of them? Is there anything that will work on aphids (the Neem isn't working for me) but won't also kill the dews? Right now it's only the capensis that are infected, but I fear for the pygmies on the other side of the shelf.
Thanks,
Ben

None of the commonly available insecticides are recommended for indoor use.

So take your plants outdoors to spray in the early morning or evening and leave them out for an hour or so. Out of direct sunlight. Use a systemic spray like Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect Killer. Safe on all the Drosera I've tried it on.

Aphids love pygmy Drosera.

In order for Neem oil to work you have to spray the undersides of the leaves as well. This means a lot of leaf lifting on rosetted Drosera and Dionaea. You should repeat spraying every 3-4 days for a couple weeks. Neem oil is a short persistence oil and evaporates in 3 or 4 days.

None of the commonly available insecticides are recommended for indoor use.

Hmm, then I'm doomed! :D

Seeing as it's about 30 degrees outside, I don't think I'll be able to take my capensis outside... I have them isolated, off the shelf. It would be nasty to take care of if they got to the pygmies... they're all newly sprouted from gemmae... I'm considering submersion in water, as that's worked before, I'll just have to find a big enough container. Otherwise I'll take my risks with the neem inside. Thanks for the neem tip, I guess I just wasn't spraying often or thoroughly enough.

I have used Ortho systemic insecticide before on my nepenthes. No apparent damage was done to the house. I just aimed at the windowsill and fired, and then left the area alone for a few hours.

Nepfreak, I agree with what "Not a Number" said about the neem oil having to hit the undersides of the leaves/ frequency of applications. May I ask what brand of Neem oil you are using? So far I have found the best to be Dyna-Grow pure neem oil, although other ppl may have different opinions. It takes a few applications to work its magic but it has worked well for me. Keep your plants shaded too after application as it causes to leaves to burn if left in the light while drying. Good luck, and be thankful its only aphids and not scale or mealy bugs, etc.

!00% safe & effective approach. I find it extremely odd that the best method I've ever heard of is having difficulty catching-on... :scratch: Do people enjoy exposing themselves to dangerous chemicals that much??
I have used Ortho systemic insecticide before on my nepenthes. No apparent damage was done to the house. I just aimed at the windowsill and fired, and then left the area alone for a few hours.
Ortho Systemic is extremely toxic - especially for inside the house. In addition, dews have adverse reactions to it.

Aviator mentioned using yeast and sugar water to produce CO2. I used to do that to kill slugs on my strawberry plants. At first I tried beer, which was recommended and then someone told me that I can get the same effect, and a lot cheaper, by using yeast and sugar water. I just can't remember if it was brewer's yeast or not.

Back