What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help with an epiphyte

Hello guys, I just recently got back to this hobby so I can enjoy the awesome carnivorous plants I once enjoyed before. However, I don't know how to take care of an Utricularia alpina x endresii. Can you give me tips and your experiences? Thank you very much; help is appreciated:)

You're going to need bright light, cool temps and high humidity. All epiphytic Utricularia do best if grown in live lfs.

Thanks for responses Cthulhu138 and RSS, I'm just planning to grow it in my room(don't want to set up a terrarium). I don't have any live sphag and would like to get references or suggestions for a mix. I have NZ lfs, pumice, orchid bark and perlite mix, and pure orchid bark mix. Since, it's winter my room gets a bit chilly at night and normal room temp by 11:00 am. To give it a humidity boost, I plan to keep a humidity tray under it. Would those fancy ceramic orchid pots work?

I wonder whether the U. alpina parentage in this hybrid would make it more forgiving in terms of nocturnal temperature drops...

I wonder whether the U. alpina parentage in this hybrid would make it more forgiving in terms of nocturnal temperature drops...

i never had a problem with it in fairly stable temps in my basement

I think you really need to find someone that has had success with this hybrid, I only have a few hybrids so I can not help with it much, the endressi part of the hybrid is my concern. U. endressi requires very different conditions than U. alpina so mixing the two would require what?

I'm only ever tried to grow a few Orchidioides Utrics outside of terrariums and all either died or grew badly. U. nephrophylla being the expection with U. humboldtii being possible with the proper care. My ignored humboldtii outside a terrarium vs my ignored humboldtii inside a terrarium is easily 5 times smaller with alot more dead leaves and far less bladders but is growing in overall mass. With daily misting with very clean water you might just have good results, I'm currently growing many plants in ways so many people told me they would die.

As for medium, the two clear winners are Live sphagnum moss (dead if you don't have any) or tree fern. Tree fern just decays so much slower than bark or LFS, but at the same time you need some decay for proper conditions. Everything else will contribute to additional problems. Personally I would find a nice small jar/bowl/tank and create a mix of the two.

Here is a good example http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...ladders-(-amp-occupant)?p=1151261#post1151261

Slack pot here, a tall net pot with some life sphagnum moss sitting inside a solo cup. This type of setup allows the Utric to grow its bladders wetter or in more humid areas of the pot if it prefers. Or simply ignore that area of the container completely if it wants too.
Utricularia quelchii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

If I had to put one outside of a terrarium this is what I would do. Tree fern totem that touches the bottom of the "jar", a few strands of sphagnum moss inside the jar. Wrap a loose "cap" of sphagnum moss around the tree fern totem to act as a lid. Keep 1/4" of VERY pure water in the bottom of the jar.
Utricularia 'Jitka' by randallsimpson, on Flickr
Utricularia 'Jitka' by randallsimpson, on Flickr

A Cube version with four tall net pots inside the cube and a live LFS cap.

Hello thanks, that was really helpful and informational. The person that I'm buying it from said she had no problem growing like Utricularia longifolia:D

Well I can not grow longifolia well so don't listen to me :-D

Back