What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here by no demand Whatsoever....Tent-House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my Tent-House that my tropicals will be spending winter in. It consists of a cheap 4 shelf tent-rack with 2 cheap 24" light strips mounted inside and one of the same sitting atop the tent. The bulbs have been replaced with 50/50 bulbs that have a reflective backing inside the bulb. It is located in a south facing window that is protected from scalding and overheating by a shear drape. In the back corner is located a 4" fan that runs all the time to prevent a bit of excess condensation, prevent overheating, and seems to help control excess mold growth.

The back lighting did not help this photo, but you get the idea. The top shelf is one huge N. X 'Miranda' that I "rescued" from a local greenhouse. It is really mashed in there! Below that the lights (2) are mounted over my sundews and other "tropical" CP's. BTW I thoroughly enjoy the Gallileo thermometer doing it's thing! It has been a fun indicator of day/night temp fluctuations. Of course I don't trust any one instrument so there is a hi/lo digital thermometer w/ a humidity meter also in there.

Tent-house.jpg

This is a nep cutting that is on the same shelf as the dews producing it's first pitcher..yay! It's blushing lol!

Nepcuttingwithfirstpitcher.jpg

And last but not liest...the bottom 2 shelves are full of orchids. The humidity is higher in the lower/cooler shelves and all of my orchids have responded wonderfully. Root growth is at an all time high and, thankfully for the dews, there are still a few fungus gnats surviving in the orchid media.

orchidsintent-house.jpg

The fan is mounted with zip-ties on the underside of the top orchid shelf pointing upwards/backwards and disperses the cooler more humid air nicely up to the dews and neps.
Hope this thread inspires other noobs to attempt something similar in the future. I have really enjoyed putting this together and the plants have certainly not complained. A word of caution though: Always be very careful when mixing wet/damp conditions with electricity! I will periodically update this thread as new pics become available and as issues arise. Thanks for looking!

Awesome! Those are some nice plants!

Thanks pine, that means alot coming from a nep guy like your self!:-D
I am doing alot of babysitting of the orchid's flower spikes as there is little room between shelves...lol.

That looks great, shortbus. The plants are going to thrive with the combination of natural light and higher humidity. Keep us updated with some close-up shots of the plants.

Will do mato. Who doesn't love showing off their stuff? Hopefully I will get a decent camera of my own in a few months instead of having to rely on a roomates phone lol.Thanks for looking!

That N. x 'Miranda' is HUGE :0o: Awesome!

Are those clear pots? Seems like it would help you see how the roots are growing, but does it cause problems for sundews that try to make plantlets off their roots?

@Fish n plants: Thanks that poor nep was in a local GH that watered w/hard water laced w/fertilizer. All of the pitchers and tendrils had dried up by the time I got them talked into cutting me a discount.

@roxorboxor: only clear pots for the orchids. The dews are all in a mish-mash of colored pots. The one that looks clear is just a tub for the actual planter to sit in. Here is a pic of the planter out of it's tub.

fall2012155_zps009f5802.jpg

I thought I'd put an update in since I had a camera handy. It was a phone camera which is my excuse for the quality of the photos. Also with miranda jammed up in the top of the tent is was impossible to get any kind of angle on the whole plant.

081212-1606.jpg

081212-1605.jpg

081212-1603.jpg

081212-1239.jpg

071212-2136.jpg

081212-1233.jpg

081212-1240.jpg

Well that's the little noob collection. The quality is a little disappointing, but you get the idea.

Here are some slightly better quality pics of my recent rearrangement.

photo3_zps1f561ebc.jpg

photo1_zpsdec30dd3.jpg

photo2_zps9ef2a14a.jpg

photo4_zpsdc3d9d0d.jpg

And the newest pitcher opening in Miranda. The Magic card was the closest thing at hand for size. It's in the 8-10" range.

photo6_zpscbbc7997.jpg

nice update: that miranda pitchers lookin great!

Thanks myles! That peristome is gonna be killer! The withery pathetic looking thing in the center of the tray was picked up at lowes as a "dormant pitcher plant and vft". I thought what the heck. If the Aussies can have pitchers this time of year, I'll try a confused sarr and see if I can refridgerate it in summer lol. It's a mystery sarr, but my bet is on purp.

Magic FTW! Tent house FTW!
And in the 2nd pic what is that plant in the middle with no tag?

Magic FTW! Tent house FTW!
And in the 2nd pic what is that plant in the middle with no tag?
The withery pathetic looking thing in the center of the tray was picked up at lowes as a "dormant pitcher plant and vft". I thought what the heck. If the Aussies can have pitchers this time of year, I'll try a confused sarr and see if I can refridgerate it in summer lol. It's a mystery sarr, but my bet is on purp.

a junky phone pic of a quarter on the peristome of the above pictured pitcher.
231212-1807_zpsa9e12624.jpg

And how many times did that quarter fall in? :lol:

The quarter was eaten three times before I finally got the pic :lol:

Update: Things are growing well in the little GH. I have many new Drosera seedlings and am prepping pots and ideas for the spring transition. Took these today and thought it was a good time to update.

photo3_zps310680d9.jpg

photo_zpscc44a949.jpg

photo1_zps44fd9763.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Spring Strikes!
2-21-13Strikes_zpsa6186f51.jpg

We have (clockwise)P. primuliflora, D. nidiformis, D. filiformis - red (just cut), D. capensis 'albino' x aliciea, and D. hamiltonii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back