What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have just sent fresh burmannii and sessilifolia seeds to my cousin in North Carolina.  She will be starting them indoors.
Would someone be kind enough to give me instructions on getting them to sprout.
How long will it take them to sprout.
Is room temperature Ok?
Will they need to be stratified?

The darn things take over everything in my collection when left alone but I am not sure what to tell her about "wanting" them to propagate.

Drosersa take over.  My poor ping.  Notice all the flower stalks and seed pods.  
burmannii_takeover_2.jpg

What's there to tell her? If they do that when you don't even try, then just tell her to put them on peat, keep the soil moist, in bright light, and there ya go.
smile_n_32.gif
No seed treatmeant, since they come from tropical Australia.

-Ben

I can't speak of D. sessilifolia, because out of two batches of seeds, I had a whopping one plant. D. burmannii is a different critter. They seem to be anytime, anywhere!

In general, I use plastic pipette containers, that come with a drained section that nests in another container, and has a hunged lid. I put moist, rinsed media in the inner, drained section and sprinkle the seeds as spread out as possible. Then I close the lid and place at an east window. Then I ignore them for 3 weeks. About that time, there should be germination.

PipetteDispenserContainer.jpg

Back