What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Botanical Gardens in Washington DC is doing major carnivorous plant show

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
The United States Botanical Gardens (located in Washington DC a stone's throw from the Capitol Building) is having a major carnivorous plant show from now until September. Tons of CPs on display, along with the following:
If the allure of live meat-eating plants is not enough, four larger-than-life sculptures provide a bugs-eye perspective of four carnivorous plants:

The 10-feet-tall Tropical Pitcher Plant (Nepenthes) invites visitors to step inside to imagine the fate of an unlucky insect.
Seven North American Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia) sculptures reach heights of 15 feet and their brilliant color is illuminated from within.
The 9-feet-tall Venus flytrap (Dionaea muscipula) sculpture replicates the closing of the “trap” through the use of hydraulics.
The Sundew (Drosera) comes to life as fiber optics illuminate more than 500 hundred of the sculpture’s tentacles.

savage_gardens_nepenthes_with_visitors_5-28-12-413x609.jpg

Awesome. That would be fun to go there. I'd love to see the other displays.

I went to the display in Columbus, it was wonderful.
Did any plants in particular stand out to you? (Such as a rarer plant that you wouldn't expect to be there)

I went to the display in Columbus, it was wonderful.
Did any plants in particular stand out to you? (Such as a rarer plant that you wouldn't expect to be there)

Actually, I didn't attend. I was doing Google Earth around Washington DC and I stumbled across the Botanical Gardens and clicked on their website and the website is filled with CP info.

....Must go and take picture with large Nep among other things.

Wolfn,

Thanks for the info! DC is very close for me, and I'll definitely go and check it out :).

I'm going to have to go. It's too close not to.

Back