What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A visit to the local botanic gardens - neps and the like. LOTS of pics!

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
Pics from the Smith College Botanical Gardens.
N. sumatrana
IMG_0490.jpg

N. maxima
IMG_0489.jpg

N. gracillima
IMG_0488.jpg

N. 'Judith Finn'
IMG_0486.jpg

---------------------------------Other CPs-----------------------------------------------------------
C. follicularis
IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0499-1.jpg

S. leucophylla
IMG_0500-1.jpg

---------------------------------Non CPs----------------------------------------------------------
Bird of Paradise Flower
IMG_0520.jpg

Old Man Cactus
IMG_0516.jpg

The leaf surface of...something....
IMG_0526-1.jpg

This was a bizzare flower... anyone know what it is?
IMG_0515.jpg

Some pricklies
IMG_0510.jpg

Funky shot of a palm
IMG_0506.jpg

The same plant. Look at those pinecones!
IMG_0501.jpg

These leaves remind me of peacock feathers
IMG_0504.jpg

Abstract of an unfurling leaf
IMG_0503.jpg

An orchid (Paphiphyllum or something?)
IMG_0497.jpg

Prickly potato plant
IMG_0574.jpg

I love this tree. It's like a tent.
IMG_0562.jpg

Succulents on rocks
IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0508-1.jpg

What're the succulents in the last photo? They look just like the ones I found growing on granite slabs near a stream an hour or two north from me.

I like the Phragmepidium, but they should know it has mealy bugs.

The pictures are all incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Man, I love that Cephalotus. I can't wait till mine looks like that.

Very cool photos, especially the ones where you stretch out a bit. Good work.

The palm looks like a cycad, maybe from the Cycas genus. The commonly grown one is Cycas revoluta, known as the sago palm.

What're the succulents in the last photo? They look just like the ones I found growing on granite slabs near a stream an hour or two north from me.

Those are Sempervivum, or sometimes called "hens and chicks". They could also be Jovibarba, althought it's difficult to tell the difference without flowers (although the second to last pic is definitely a Sempervivum). The last picture appears to be some sort of Echeveria or a relative.

Nepfreak, I believe that that "leaf surface of something" is an iron cross begonia. The strange flower is some sort of Stapeliad or related plant. Those "peacock feather leaves" are of a species of prayer plant.

-Ben

The "bizarre flower" looks like hueria zebrina, although it could also be huernia confusa...or some other huernia/orbea/stapelia. Did it smell like rotting flesh? Apparently some Asclepiadaceaes smell really rank and I would love to figure out what ones are really rank beforehand instead of waiting for the various teeny cuttings I have to eventually flower sometime in my lifetime...

is the bird of paradise common? i see them everywhere, i even have one in my front yard, even one in my school....

Beautiful shots!

Very nice Botanic gardens the outside is really nice and looks like the trees there is changing also very nice plants they have there thanks for showing pictures of them.

Hey Nepenthu, great pics!
Yeah, a lot of their orchids have mealybugs. I think I'll contact them about it though I can't see how they wouldn't notice -- they have a pretty good staff. Huernia sounds right for that flower. I remember reading the tag and it was something like that. Glad you guys liked the pics!

Back