What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question of morals

Status
Not open for further replies.
In response of a recent giveaway I feel it needful to make this thread. I have made the choice to make the Bible the foundation of my life and belief system and I must say I was rather blown away at the response and fervor of this community that has participated in Thez_yo's giveaway. Obviously as a believer in the Bible I do not support or condone the LGBT community but rather I view it as morally wrong.
Before you go and get all mad at me, I want to state that this thread is not meant to condemn other but is a thread to share views. I personally want to thank Thez for her generosity in such a fantastical giveaway and congrats to whomever may win. Also of note, I have been a friend to several gay people but I do not support their lifestyle. I do not support persecution of the LGBT community and would like to think I would step in if I ever saw someone beating, maiming or killing one of the stated just as I would hope someone would step in if the same were happening to me because of my views/lifestyle.
That being said here is how I feel on the subject: It is moraly wrong, God condemns it and all who continue in such sin choose the path to Hell. Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,...Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:...Romans 1:26-32 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. God makes it clear that homosexuality is an abomination and a sin that will condemn one to hell if they continue in it. I fear for our nation and its views as well because God also declares Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
I know that all of us have our own beliefs and this thread is not meant to try and force my opinions or views on the rest of you, I am just sharing the truth as God has given commandment to do. Once again I know the majority of you will not regard this as the truth because I'm sure we all view our own beliefs as the truth which is why we hold such beliefs. I respect your right to your beliefs and I know they are your choice I just wanted to share my conviction out of concern for others.
Please feel free to comment while keeping in mind that per forum rules this does not turn into an argument and that others are entitled to their own opinions. Also I think this can be an interesting way to learn more about the fellow growers on this forum.

:All scripture is quoted from the King James Bible:

I wish more people were like you. I think it takes an strong person to be able to be kind to people they meet, even if they disapprove of their lifestyle.

Well, it is my knowledge that that pretty much all people of homosexual orientation are born that way, and I know that many of them don't like the way they are, and some even try to live "normal" lives, ultimately being terribly unhappy that way.

So if I were to view things from a religious point of view, I could only conclude that god failed them in some way.

What I believe is, as a follower of the Bible, is that homosexuality IS immoral, however, it is the person's choice how to live their life and everything will be sorted out in the end. I know that you can't choose to be or not to be gay, but it's your choice what you do with your homosexuality.

I honestly know a few homosexual people, and I must say, even though I disagree with their lifestyle, they are some of the nicest people I know :)

In biblical times they thought it was a choice
Now it is common knowledge that it's not SO DON'T BE HATIN'
Just in case you were wondering, I'm strait

We also have to toss in Romans 3:23 (for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.); Romans 6:23 (For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in[a] Christ Jesus our Lord.); Romans 19:9+10 (If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.); and John 3:16 (For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.)

There's nothing wrong with God. It's we humans that have screwed up and chosen to reject Him, whether it be through homosexuality, heterosexual lust, or any number of other things we do, say, or think.

The message was always there and always simple:

Luke 10:26 + 27:

26 "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" 27 He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "

In biblical times they thought it was a choice
Now it is common knowledge that it's not SO DON'T BE HATIN'
Just in case you were wondering, I'm strait

No, it is NOT a choice to be homosexual or not, it IS a choice to commit homosexual acts, however.

You forgot "Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda, book of Starwars.

Seriously...better to accept who you are than living a lie and trying to please a diety of which all proof is second hand/third hand/fourth hand......

posted thinking i was in a different thread, apologies to all

Last edited:
One might consider not excepting who God made you far worse than not following the bible

One might consider not excepting who God made you far worse than not following the bible

Please don't start including those who do not share your beliefs in them. My beliefs do not include me, nor my ancestors being made by a God. Nor do I consider the bible to be anything more than a book of fiction. Please don't get me started on who has been drinking the holy koolaid,

Last edited:
I'm always surprised anyone believes it is any of their business what other people do in their bedrooms between consenting adults. Not being a christian I can say I have never committed a "sin", and neither have any non-christian homosexuals. If they are not my beliefs they mean nothing to me EXCEPT when people try to force their religious laws upon a secular people through legislation.

I wish more people were like you. I think it takes an strong person to be able to be kind to people they meet, even if they disapprove of their lifestyle.

Thank you, and thank you to all who have participated.

To ALL who feel the need to hiijack Thez's generous give away with handed down xtian beliefs, please stop right now. This is a trade/giveaway section not a bible study section. Quoting anti-gay passages and then saying "but I know some gay people" is not exactly how I read the requirment of having in someway helped the LGBT community.
Now back to your regularly scheduled trades and give aways.

I'm sorry you feel this way it was not my intent to hijack a thread nor do I feel I have because I created a separate thread. I am not trying to participate in the giveaway and never claimed that I support the LGBT community in saying I was friends to some gays, I was saying that I respect their right to choose what they will.

Here are some good links about the "gay gene"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation
http://www.trueorigin.org/gaygene01.asp

I humbly apologize, I thought we were still in Thez's thread...... I was wrong, BUT my beliefs are still what i said.

I'm not christian either, I was just saying

just my personal observation, but i find "coming to faith in Christ" and "coming to out of the closet" to have very close parallels to each other...we know about the stories of homosexuals being repressed, persecuted and killed, but you never hear stories of christians being repressed and persecuted, but they do exist.
there are those who have been disowned by their families and friends because of their belief in Christ, there are those who are mocked and cursed at because they love Christ. but there's more than that as well: in other areas of the world, christians are set on fire, beaten with ply boards, spat upon, thrown in prison, beheaded, etc etc etc... and yet most of the world doesnt seem to care...seem familiar?

most people hate christianity based upon the assumption that it is another strict oppressive religious system that is based of fear...but in truth, TRUE christianity has always been rooted in love. the christian's motivation for forsaking himself, and dying to himself and living for Christ is spurred because he understands the price paid for his soul...he understands that apart from Christ, he has no communion with God and is actually at war with God. God being good and just has every right to destroy him, but chose to place divine wrath on His Son, so that communion with God might be restored and the eternal consequences of sin are dealt with completely. this is love: while we were still yet haters and enemies of God, God took the initiative and gave sinners His only begotten Son. there is no room for a high and holier-than-thou attitude here, for EVERYONE is in need of mercy from God, whether they recognize it or not. (i suppose i just outed myself as a christian on TF. :rolleyes:)

I see the political correctness police have been here..the other thread wasnt just locked, but it was deleted outright! thats typical..as long as you "think the right way" you can say anything you like..but opposing viewpoints will be (quite literally) deleted from existence..*sigh*..so much for tolerance.

I had composed a long reply to go into the other thread..since its now gone, I will post it here..since my opinion generally agrees with the "right way of thinking" it will probably be allowed to stay..here is what I wanted to say in the other thread:

Im a Christian..and I am totally 100% in favor of Gay marriage..
not being in favor of it is, IMO, very unchristian..
here is how I see it:

In order for something to be a sin, EVERYone should able to commit it right?
(not counting young children, or people of impaired intelligence..but "normal" people who understand the concept of right and wrong..)

So lets take some classic sins:

wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, gluttony, murder, adultery, etc..everyone agrees those are sins.

I am *capable* of committing ANY of those sins..it is physically possible that I can commit any those sins..
the trick is overcoming temptation and NOT sinning..but technically any person, male or female, is *capable* of commiting any of those sins..that is what makes them sins!
they are a CHOICE..sins are a choice..we can choose to commit them, or choose not to commit them.

But homosexually?? am I *capable* of committing the "sin" of homosexually?
actually no, I am not..its impossible..I could commit a "homosexual act"..but that is not the same thing as "being gay"..So why am I incapable of "choosing to be gay?"
its simple.. because I was born "not gay"..

by a quirk of my development in the womb, I was "born straight"..I cant do anything about it, its just who I am..I am utterly incapable of "choosing to be gay"..So..how can being gay possibly be a sin??
It cant..its impossible..how can there be a sin some people can commit, but others are incapable of commiting? it cant happen..that is why homosexuality is not a sin..its utterly ridiculous that people actually think people "choose to be gay"..just ask any gay person who has ever lived if its a "lifestyle choice" or if they were gay from birth..there is no question people are born gay..

So for those two reasons:
1. I cant commit the sin of "choosing to be gay"
2. it's utterly obvious gay people are born gay.

The only conclusion is "God created gay people"..therefore there is no way he can be "against them"..
just like He couldnt be against any race, or people with blue eyes, or red heads..

So why do some people think the Bible "proves" that being gay is a sin?
I cant fathom why they even care..
the only thing I can think of to explain it is..its the only thing they have to "justify" their personal bigotry..

People misinterpret the bible all the time to uphold bigotry..in the 1960's when school integration was taking place in the south, people had protest signs "proving" that God didn't want black children to be in the same classrooms with their white children..what was the proof? yep..bible verses.."separation of the tribes" or something like that..its in the bible! this is the EXACT same thing..

First black people were a subclass with less rights..
Then women couldnt vote..
in many states it was illegal for a white person to marry a black person up into the 1960's!!
crazy..
this current oppression against gay marriage is the last great gasp of organized bigotry in America..it too will soon fall, as it should...

Thats my opinion..stated as a Christian and a Republican! ;)
there are a lot more of us than you think..

thanks,
Scot

(and no, my post is not intended to be an "entry" in this contest! ;) Im against the blatant intolerance and hypocrisy shown by the deletion of the other thread, "intolerance in the name of tolerance".."you MUST respect ALL opinions and choices! (except for the opinions of White Republican Christians..they are evil..)"..which is so typical from the left these days..so I dont want to be a part of the giveaway.)

thanks,
Scot

I dont support your view, but commend you on having a good idea rather than the same ole giveaways everyone does. I generally hold dashman's view. I don't condemn, but I will never condone the lgbt commmunity. I feel that isn't my job to do here in this world. Live and let live I say. I'm a reformed homophobe. Good luck to all.

I never said I condone. Anyways. this is a giveaway and not a politcal thread so i will reply no further.

Again, good idea Thez. And very generous of you.

EDIT: OOOPS. I meant to say I never said I DON'T condone. Major error! Sorry.

Last edited:
Scot,
I don't think the removal of the last thread was so much about politcal correctness and intolerance to opposing views (although I would call it hateful and hate should never be tolerated, as the quote in my earlier post points out, by allowing these intolerant views, children learn it, and so the cycle of hate never ends. There's a fine line between disagreeing responsibly and blindly opposing)...I think it was removed partly so it didn't overtake THIS thread, which it was, and because of the poor presentation, it was quickly escalating to a flamewar, so it was removed before people could get their pitchforks.

Just sayin'

But even now, people are taking their differing opinions into this trade thread that's of a decided opinion, because apparently, their parents never taught them "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all" :glare:

Anyway...
Much love to the great lady Zu for doing this<3

I'm really wishing that people would keep their issues out of this thread. This is not the place to sound off, and doing so in this manner is honestly disrespectful and has nothing to do with the giveaway.
Being her plants to give away, Zu is allowed to set her own criteria.
I'm sorry that the other thread was deleted, but the reactions posted here are unnecessary. You are actively undermining the safe-space this thread provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back