What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird weird purpurea growth!

My Sarracenia purpurea has a really weird pitcher thing going on! Check it out:

theoyard008.jpg

This thing is shaped just like a pitcher of a different species, but on a stalk! And there are more coming up! What's the deal? oAo

(also sorry I've disappeared--all my CPs but my Dana's Delight and my purp are dead ;A; So I kind of lost interest in the forum.)

Sweet! None of my purps have done that yet.

This is just a Home Depot purp, man. I dunno what the deal is. >>

Purp Upper Pitcher?

Phyllodia?

Huh, that would make sense--it is early in the growing season after all.

I'd keep an eye on it! If it continues doing that on a regular basis, you may have the beginning of an exciting new cultivar.

Mine has never done the stem thing, but the leaves look like that right out of dormancy. It would be funny if it keeps growing like this.

Sarracenia purpurea do not make Phyllodia. Only a few Sarracenia do that and purpurea isn't one of them. I have no idea what is going on i have seen this once before. It shouldn't make another one like that.

Don't want to jinx it or anything.... but keep an eye out for pests, which may trigger unusual growth.

I'm with joossa i was thinking of that it could be a possibility.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Like my Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' made these weird and curved pitchers before then i sprayed them with the appropriate insect killer and it stopped.

My venosa var. montana has done this when just coming out of dormancy. Usually reverts to normal growth after first two leaves of the season.

It almost looks like a throw-back to the extinct Archaeamphora! Very interesting indeed...

S. rubra and S. leucuphylla (on occasion) make phyllodiform leaves under certain conditions. S. rubra it is often the winter - spring time zone. Similar in shape to phyllodes but still have pitchers as is observed in the pics.

could it be that these plants have some hybrid parentage that includes S. rubra as a parent?

See like for discussion on phyllodiform leaves.

http://books.google.com/books?id=z2...=phyllodiform leaves sarracenia rubra&f=false

Sarracenia purpurea do not make Phyllodia. Only a few Sarracenia do that and purpurea isn't one of them. I have no idea what is going on i have seen this once before. It shouldn't make another one like that.

It shouldn't but it is--there is one on each plant in that pot and more like it coming up that you can't see in that pic.

Parasites are a possibility, my VFTs all died from some sort of parasite. But I'm not gonna worry about it because I need to get my plant count down anyway >.> Before I move.

Stressed S. purpurea - and any plant, for that matter - can produce unexpected "leaves".

That's freaking cool whatever it is!

Looks like the first evolutionary step towards Nepentheshood.

Mine are almost always like that !!! so is it an upper pitcher

Back