What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viral Check-up

just been reading up on viruses, and its scared me a bit and put me off growing lots of them. Ive only got 2 vfts right now, and just want to make sure theyre
ok before I buy more.

But my first question is - What are the symptoms of a virus?

Now ill go over to my plants, describe some suspected virus stuff.

This is my oldest plant

4a3f0258-1a24-42f6-84c7-50c9bc2127a.jpg

The wierd thing about this one is that the feeling things inside the trap are either green or red. If you look towards the centre there are headless things and one of them has a trap the size of half a 1 cent coin. Wierd? Whats the texture susposed to be for a venus flytrap? This one is quite rough.

Now going over to the wierd one: Dont laugh!

ed9dcb05-7eb6-4259-b05d-696d2eaaeed.jpg

This one has only been growing deformed traps, some look like a wave and some are to wide. The new growth from the flower is starting to die, and chunks of the trap are disappearing.

I bought this from Hampshire Carnivores ready potted, it came with a bunch of fungus gnats inside it so I repotted it. This was the first plant ive ever re-potted so it didnt do so good from then on!

All of my other carnivorous plants are fine, and cant worry me. Other than the newer growth of my purpea pitcher (or whatever you call them) seem more pale to the other pitchers?

Thanks, Hayden

First off let me say that viruses are rare and your plants do not appear virused. The first question I have for you is how long have you been growing thse 2 plants and are any of the conditions new?

So the first thing you need to do is sterilize all tools before and after you use them on each plant. This stops the easiest way of transmitting from plant to plant (aside from insect vector transmission, which you don't have a ton of control over.) If you are concerned with a plant quarantine it asap, and quarantine all new aquisitions no matter how they look, always.

The symptoms of viruses are different according to that particular virus, but the most obvious common signs are varigation or strange/irregular color patterns. This can come with slower growth, easy rotting, other pests as they can become more susceptable etc.

If chunks of your traps are dissapearing it's most likely because of mechanical damage from insects. Is there an insect inside any of those traps? Give your repotted plant some time, they take a while to recover. Plants aren't perfect, they wont grow the same every time, genetic abnormalities exist and can show up once and then never again, bacterial infections can occur, and then there are cultural changes too. So don't panic and watch your plants if you aren't familiar with how they normally grow.

Are they growing outside? They look like they could use more light.

xvart.

Thankyou mass morels! Youve made me feel much happier! They only bugs ive seen are a couple of springtails on my outdoor table. Yes they are living outside or on a south facing window.

Also, do you know what them wierd bits in the middle of my all green are?

The abnormal growth at the center is most likely one of 2 things: 1. Aphid (or other insect) damage 2. Side effect of growth chemicals used to tissue culture (in layman's terms: "clone" and mass produce) carnivorous plants.

Also make sure there aren't any added fertilizers or other chemicals in the soil you are using.

Last edited:
A virus tends to cause strange colouration in the traps. Yours just look like VFTs not kept in optimal conditions.

1. Light. They need as much sun as possible. A greenhouse or sunny windowsill preferably.
2. Water. Sit them in a saucer of rainwater throughout the growing season.
3. Soil. Yours look like they're in sodden old peat. Did you buy them from a shop? They're probably unhappy in their old peat which is likely full of tap water. Repot in a nice airy 50:50 Irish spagnum moss peat and perlite mix.
4. Patience. It might be August or September before they perk up if you follow these instructions.

In addition to Taargus's very good advice I would add that if you are worried about virus transmission than be sure your plants are placed so that if it rains, or you water from high enough to get the leaves wet, then keep the plants far enough apart to prevent the water from one splashing on the other.
Viruses in plants are like HIV in people, it takes an open "wound" on a plant for the virus to get in. They are not airborne.
Fortunately viruses in cps are much les common than in orchids. other wise whole bogs would have died out.

Good call- Chibae's point is very important! Open wounds on plants and handling/touching one plant and then another can transmit a virus. Roots act as an opening for viral transmission too, so don't let them share a water source if you are concerned, keep them in separate trays if you use this method.

It really looks like a light deficit to me with a touch of root rot. The yellow of the mature leaves indication that they they are not getting a enough sun. And the blackening of new growth would indicate a fungal attack of the roots from using peat that doesn't have enough drainage. I'd say repot in a 1:1 (peat:sand) mix and give it full sun.

-Hermes.

I would second Hermes. Though not severely etiolated the foliage looks like it could certainly use more sun light! At this time of year, unless you have a low laying clone, traps should be erect and the inside of the traps should have either a hint or a deep coloration of red. I would not personally blame a virus just yet but attempt to give the plant more direct sunlight (no less than 8 hrs). Good luck!

Plant diseases including viruses can be vectored by insects. Fungus gnats are a major source of plant disease spread.

Back