What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vertical Growing Cephalotus

DSC_0251.JPG

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0259.JPG

DSC_0266.JPG

Very nice. What did you use for a growing medium ?

How very cool! I, too, would like to know more.

Looks like it might be a rockwool or an epiweb type material? Perhaps holding back a peat based media?

Either way very cool!

Excellent! This looks the closest to what I imagine they would grow like in their natural habitat.

I sectioned a rectangular pot, packed it with peat (no aggregate), planted the cephs in it and seeded the surface with moss spores. The idea of the moss is to hold it all together. I water the whole thing using a pressurised sprayer.

'Very nice, Mobile. I like the little sundew on the upper right. What is the size of square pot you have used?

This is amazing looking Mobile! I saw this post and immediately set a small one up myself :p

'Very nice, Mobile. I like the little sundew on the upper right. What is the size of square pot you have used?

There's also a Utricularia simplex in flower bottom right. The pot is ~18cm sq x 20cm tall.

Looks great!

Anything you would do differently if you built another one? This has always been one of those projects I just haven't gotten to.

So any lessons learned would be great.

Excellent! This looks the closest to what I imagine they would grow like in their natural habitat.

Yeah, I agree. I've seen photographs of Cephalotus in the wild growing vertically near beaches, and that was what this setup reminded me of. Really nice!

Looks great!

Anything you would do differently if you built another one?

To be honest, no. It has all worked out really well and I have not experienced any issues. The plants have grown phenomenal fast too.

Beautiful plants Carl. I always wanted to grow a vertical ceph. I tried two, but only one is growing good. Its growing on a epiweb kind of material (hygrolon). I realized the difference is where the plant was planted. It is close to my truncata x lowii which has LFS top dressing. The ceph grew roots which seeked out the moss and was absorbing the water from there. Thats why it grew well. Only time will tell how it will do in the future once its biomass and requirements increase. Also, I planted a couple more orchids on the wall which are cutting out some of the light...so lets see if it continues to grow well. Would be nice though.

I also want to try your method of cutting the pot. Thats a great idea. I always wanted to make my mom a nice ceph display for her tabletop. This is a beautiful way to go it. Thanks for sharing.

12585323354_80fa0db5db_c.jpg

<textarea id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;"></textarea>

What a neat idea! Thank you! I have been doing Utrics similar to this but never considered other genera. Will try some dews this way too.

It's still doing well:

3v046vL.jpg

I have my Cephalotus Two Peoples Bay in a similar setup:

QKK0Khk.jpg

wow ! Very nice guys ! I have to try that

@ Mobile: I'd say the first is still doing well! I had to scroll up and do a double take at how much growth it has put on. Is 100% peat what you prefer growing these guys in then? Also, do you keep your tray wet or allow brief empty periods? Cephs are new to me and I am trying to gather as much info from different growers as possible.

100% peat is the only option I have found with this growing method, as adding any aggregate makes the soil loose so it won't stay vertical. Peat can be compressed into shape. As you can see from the pictures, the plants seem to like it this way.

My watering method is to use a pressure sprayer and drench the soil from the top down, allowing the excess to run off into the saucer. I spray both the plants and the soil. Until moss has grown on the peat surface, care has to be taken to ensure that watering does not wash it away.

Back