What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some plants stunted/deformed, others doing well

Ever since I made the trip down to Mississippi from California, some of my plants have been acting weird. At first I thought it was just a consequence of the two-week drive it took to get here (not much light in the car), but because some plants have improved and others haven't, I'm wondering if something else is going on.

On the ones affected, their growth has slowed or nearly stopped, and what new growth does occur isn't looking great. I've thoroughly examined the plants for pests like aphids or spider mites, but I don't see anything. The plants aren't getting as much sun as they were in California because tall pine trees surround the house, but it's still a pretty good amount. Anyway, I'll post some pictures to see what you guys think.

Not doing well:

Red Dragon Venus Flytrap by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

Sarracenia minor by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

Sarracenia minor Okee Giant by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

Doing well:

Stylidium debile by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

Saracenia purpurea by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

Sarracenia purpurea hybrid by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

Sarracenia flava by Natalie's Cell Phone, on Flickr

I'm just confused as to why the plants are acting so weird after I moved to an area with a climate so close to that of their native ranges...

Because you moved? The climate may be closer to native habitat, but that does not mean that plants will automatically adapt to changes. They will come back eventually.

It looks like some may need more light, how much direct sun do they get? 6+hours is best. Also, with the plants with deformed leaves, it may also be a fungal infection or very small pests. If they don't bounce back within a month or so, check up on that.

Unfortunately, I can't help ya with the issue at hand, but I'm going to go ahead and warn you about that bog grass. I left it in my minibog thinking it added to the overall feel of it, that it would just be a neat, harmless addition. Wrong. That stuff has a CRAZY root system once it matures and it started completely choking out all the other plants in the minibog. I'd yank that crap now before it settles in and becomes difficult to remove. Noticed it in your Sarracenia minor and D. 'Red Dragon' pots.

Thanks for the replies, it's good to hear it might just be the change of climate. They've been in the same place for one month today, I figured they would adapt quicker than that. As far as light goes, I'm pretty sure they get more than six hours of direct sunlight a day, though I haven't been able to keep track of exactly how much since I work from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. I can't really move them to a sunnier location, since I live along a highway, and if I put them next to the road (where it's sunnier) I'd worry about them getting stolen.

If it was a fungal infection, would I be able to see mold or something on the plants? I don't see anything on them that would cause the stunted/deformed growth, but I can look again. Occasionally katydids and other insects will eat the tops of the new pitchers before they even open... My Alata black tube lost all its new pitchers that way except one. Thanks for the heads up about the grass, I'm normally pretty good about picking it, but I've been so busy down here I've forgotten for a while. I didn't know it was so invasive either.

Can fungicide hurt the plants? Would it be a good idea to apply some even if I'm not sure there's fungus?

Not al fungus infections involve the fuzzy molds. some will only be visible as light spots near the twists in the deformed areas, or as witherede spots lower down, etc. A sulfur based fungicide shouldn't hurt, and may help even if there is no visible infection.

Back