What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

You can't just say that and not post a pic...

b644a8925325c6064b33bcec2bc0356c.png

lol here's one from before I put it in the terrarium. It's phal Gretchen which is stuartiana x gigantea. Hopefully I'll see blooms next year if it keeps growing and doesn't stall again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P6090043_zpsvebrjczr.jpg

xSamera from a friend on here :)

P6090042_zpshiqsvfso.jpg

a nice mutt from Home Depot

This one just opened for me the other day. Brassavola X Cattleya

Looks like a Richard Mueller hybrid. Does it change color as the flower ages?

I dont know. This is my first flower off it.

That Phal. Gretchen has nice foliage...reminds me a bit of my schilleriana. Lovely Brassocatt or whatever it may be called.

Last edited:
No updates for a while?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ttUwCjA"><a href="//imgur.com/ttUwCjA"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Paph. Tristar mabo
attachment.php

Nice paph, Gadzooks! And about time we wake up this thread again.

If I ever figure how to get one of my orchids to flower rather than just hang on....foolish me that I'm gonna try in vitro seed germination of a few shortly :p

Bulbophyllum Romyi
attachment.php

If I ever figure how to get one of my orchids to flower rather than just hang on....foolish me that I'm gonna try in vitro seed germination of a few shortly :p

Yes, I have several nice hybrids that I have never seen bloom, though I've been growing them for years now. 'Frustrating but I keep tweakiing, hoping for the day...

Bulbophyllum Romyi
attachment.php

Nice!

Yes, I have several nice hybrids that I have never seen bloom, though I've been growing them for years now. 'Frustrating but I keep tweakiing, hoping for the day...

I know right! I picked up a (flowering size) Dendrobium Spectabile and it's put out cane after cane. It's on the 5th one and all I want is that sweet inflorenscense. I guess that's why people buy them in spike, you know for that instant satisfaction. Nothing like waiting for SG orchids to reach flowering though. That's dedication.

Gadzooks, I have a question about my Bulbophyllum (Cirrhopetalum) taiwanese which I have growing on a cork slab. I put long fiber sphagnum under it before tying it to the slab. But now it is overgrowing the slab and I need a bigger one. The roots that are exposed on the edge of the slab dry up, where the ones in the LFS stay nice and white. Have you ever removed an ingrown orchid from a slab? I don't want to overly disturb my plant. It is just putting up two flower spikes, and maybe even a third.

I was thinking of getting a bigger cork slab and cutting out a section to allow my existing piece to fit in and let the plant grow out onto the new slab over time.

Here is the flower on May 27, 2019 : 2019-5-27 Cirrhopetalum taiwanese flower.jpg

Here is my plant flowering on March 28, 2020 : 2020-3-28 3.jpg

The plant has grown much more since last March.

Gadzooks, I have a question about my Bulbophyllum (Cirrhopetalum) taiwanese which I have growing on a cork slab. I put long fiber sphagnum under it before tying it to the slab. But now it is overgrowing the slab and I need a bigger one. The roots that are exposed on the edge of the slab dry up, where the ones in the LFS stay nice and white. Have you ever removed an ingrown orchid from a slab? I don't want to overly disturb my plant. It is just putting up two flower spikes, and maybe even a third.

I was thinking of getting a bigger cork slab and cutting out a section to allow my existing piece to fit in and let the plant grow out onto the new slab over time.

Here is the flower on May 27, 2019 : View attachment 5606

Here is my plant flowering on March 28, 2020 : View attachment 5607

The plant has grown much more since last March.

I have unmounted 2 bulbos. It was a slow process. I took one off of a piece of teakwood, split it into equal parts and remountedd onto to separate pieces of teak. If your slab is smooth without cracks and crevices it's super easy. Best to do it after flowering and at the beginning of its growing season (not sure where you grow yours. I keep mine in a grow tent in the winter with timers set to sunrise-1, sunset+2) once nights are consistently above 50 I take them out where they get automated watering twice a day for 1hr right around noon and 3pm. So I kinda don't have as much LFS, just a mess of angel hair pasta roots. I maintenence them around this time and let them adjust.

... so yea, haha. Just soak the whole of the roots and get a spray bottle. Kinda run your fingers along and work the fine roots in a wiggly motion they should gently break free. Once you have a good amount of roots, you can work them free by the psudobulbs. Yes, some roots may have to be sacrificed to the heathen gods.

I kinda just train them back onto the mount when they get unruly. With so many psudobulbs, the orchid can really balance itself between the source of water and loss from its more enterprising parts. Bulbophyllums just happily grow all over themselves with old growth getting burried.

attachment.php

More importantly and in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I should point out that that is a beautiful and happy looking plant!

You have several options, Jerry.

1) Remove the Bulbo as Gadz. said and remount. However, considering the mount, you would likely lose most of the roots. Therefore, if going this route, make sure you do it when the bulbo is actively growing new roots.

2) Leave it alone and simply allow the bulbo to completely engulf the mount. A friend of mine has several mounted bulbos with which the mount is no longer visable.

3) Attach that mount directly onto or against (like adding an extension) another cork slab.

4) Go with your idea of getting a larger slab and cutting a hole in it to fit the current mount into it.

Any of the above should work.

Thanks to both of you. Since I'm seeing flower spikes, I have to wait I guess.

As far as letting it overgrow the mount, I get concerned when I see the roots turn from the white and fleshy looking to brown dried strings. Aren't they dead at that point? I don't really want to rip the plant off of the mount. I'm leaning towards DragonsEye's 3 or 4.

I keep my two orchids on a directly East facing windowsill here in Northern NJ. I rinse them with 5 ppm TDS water and follow it with 1/4 tsp/gallon orchid fertilizer each day. (I'll have to get the brand name later.) I drizzle the water/fertilizer over the leaves and mount. I let them drain a few minutes before placing them back in the window. The Bulbo was not blooming, but was growing well leaf wise, until I bumped up the fertilizer and moved them to the East window. Now it has bloomed three years in a row. I do this year round. I even take them on vacation or place them in the care of a friend.

Peace, Ive been here since yesterday's breakfast. Whatever you end up doing, we definitely want to see it! I love hearing about the different regiments we subject our plants to. Growing is superstitious business and hearing your success gives me confidence to try different things.

Back