What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roridula dentata germination

• Thread starter nimbulan
  • Start date
How are your seeds doing?

It's only been 9 days since I sowed them. I wouldn't expect anything for a couple more weeks at least.

I germinated 5 dentata seeds last year and the 5 plants are still alive today. I tested my seeds by treating them with GA3 and Kirstenbosch smoke primer for 24 hours to see which would germinate, they all did.
My seeds were very fresh and I sowed them in Autumn.

I actually have some seeds left from that purchase and bought some new ones this year. I am going to try and germinate both batches, just waiting for the nights to cool down a bit more before I start sowing.

Last edited:
I started with 10 seeds and split them up into two batches. One I soaked in a commercial liquid smoke product for an hour, one I soaked in home-made smoke water made by burning peat and Roridula gorgonias leaves for an hour. I sowed them on 1:2 peat:sand and provided days in the low 70's and nights below 50. It took about 6 weeks for the first 3 to germinate and one more about 3 weeks afterwards. So far 2 seeds have germinated from each batch (4 total,) 2 or 3 were nonviable and engulfed by fungus pretty quickly, and at least one more looks like it will germinate in the near future.

I have had a fair amount of trouble with the newly germinated seedlings being unable to penetrate the soil with the developing root and lifting themselves up away from the soil then growth stalling due to lack of moisture. They seem to be able to handle it just fine though and resume growth immediately when returned to proper contact with the soil. Next time I may try burying the seeds a bit so they have more leverage to push down and are less exposed to the surface soil that is more likely to dry out.

Back