What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project: Tiered Plant Stand

This spring I migrated my small collection of Sarrs from a menagerie of pots into those planter boxes made famous by Brokken. In trying to decide where in my yard to place them, I came across a small 4'x4' area seemed promising. Since the footprint was small, I knew I'd have to build something tiered, plus there was a LPG line to contend with. I decided on a bleacher style plant stand then came the part where I had to figure out how to make those pesky stair stringers. I have very little experience in construction so I visited some websites geared towards building stairs, however, I didn't find too much help due to that the rise and run for this project was outside of any standard stair design. I decided install Google's 'SketchUp' program to see if I could make something using that method. After some time feeling my way around, this is what I came up with.

stand5a.jpg

From what I could tell it seemed like it should work…. I purchased the pressure treated lumber -which wasn't cheap - esp. the 2x12x16' for the stringers. Ideally I would have built this in the garage then moved it to the site but the LPG line forced me to undertake the construction in situ. The frame was easy enough.

1.jpg

Using a square and pencil, I marked out the cut lines for the first stringer as shown on the measurements I added to my SketchUp design. My lack of experience on the circular saw was at times evident w/ the cuts not exactly straight. Where the cuts met I used a Japanese Ryoba saw to finish off the 90 degree intersections.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The first 4x4 was temporarily screwed into place and the first stringer laid out. The bottom shelf was only going to be 10" deep –the rest were 12”. I marked the line, placed the stringer into position and used a level on the steps to acquire correct placement on the 4x4. The front of the stringer was screwed into the frame w/ a metal 'T' bracket. Once the bracket was secure, the level was used to again to check that all was square then I marked and drilled for the 5/16x6” galv carriage bolts. I installed the left and right stringers, then the middle one so I could align it w/ the other two.

4.jpg

5.jpg

I decided to use cedar boards for the shelves. A local cedar mill had 5/4x6x6'decking for cheap so I went with that. A stain was applied to help preserve the wood.

6.jpg

The boards were screwed down w/ exterior grade screws. So far it seems like it’ll work. If any of you have experience in construction, feel free to make suggestions on what I could have/should have done differently.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

:clap:

how are you keeping the large white community pots watered. there seems to be no dishes underneath them arent they going to dry out quickly or do you have the pots lined with plastic or something, to keep from draining to quickly .
Nice job , looks great. and the cedar will hold up for years.
:-D:-D

uphwiz: those pots don't drain on the bottom, so they're like buckets of water with peat and sarrs in them.

Looks fantastic. Well done.

Very nice.. not a whole lot of experience in construction but looks solid enough!

Very nice and clean looking!

*love that sketchup with Homer! :D

Very Nice! I wish I had room to build something like that!

verry nice puma :D

Appreciate the comments. May eventually build a 3-tiered 8' one. Stay tuned...

Back