What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Well, I finally received my first Mexiping, a cute little P. laueana. I've been reading about them, etc. and it seems that pings can be very easily propagated. The plant I have is about 1-1.5 inches across, and has just left its dormant period, as there are about 3-4 carnivorous leaves sitting atop a large cluster of succulent-type leaves. I have read that when propagating Pinguicula, it is often easiest to do leaf pullings when the plant is in its dormant period. Seeing that the non-carnivorous leaves are now underneath a rosette of carnivorous leaves, can I pull several of them off, and dip them, chip-dip style right into the surrounding substrate? I suppose I am just looking for some guidance in this area, since I haven't grown any Pinguicula yet. How frequently should the pullings/entire plant be watered? As wet as you would keep Drosera or Sarracenia, or more similar to the constant moisture, but not water-logged method of Nepenthes? If my camera charger weren't missing, there would certainly be photos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pings IMO are almost too easy to propogate. I simply tug a couple of leaves and lay them flat (oftentimes in the same pot as the mother plant). Usually in about 1-2 weeks you can see tiny plantlets growing on the edge of the leaf. Sometimes the return is great! One of my Pinguicula 'Titan' plants spawned 4 new plants from just 1 leaf!

Just practice a little and I am SURE you will get it down. They are tough plants.

Picture016.jpg

Picture006-9.jpg

Picture008-9.jpg

Picture059.jpg

My basic mix is APS with a bit of sand.With the sand I add enough iron oxide to color it kind of pinkish and mix them together. For my P. gypsicola I do put some crushed coral around the roots.

LOL Jim. What a slaughter.

i'd say just wait for up to 6 months, you'll get plantlets. I got a P. moranensis, and 2 weeks later, i had plantlets

I've had no luck witg propagating pings, what could I be doing wrong?

Really, all ya need to do is place the basal cuttings on the media surface... and wait a few weeks. No special treatment required (except for P. gypsicola).

This morning I plucked a bunch of P. gypsicola basal leaves, and placed them in a variety of places, under differing conditions, in the hopes that (I don't kill the momma plant) something will sprout. My last attempt was total failure.

Back