What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pings and moss

I have heard somewhere that some cp's die in certain mosses, I assume because of the moss degrading and causing spikes in certain chemicals or something.
I dont know because I can't find info on it anywhere but common sense tells me that this problem is most likely more common in bog plants that are used to a certain type of condition like sphagnum bogs.
when I look for pics of pings in the wild the mexican pings seem to be growing in patches of all types of random moss attached to rock walls or growing out of dead/dying trees .
I guess my question is do you have to worry about moss becoming toxic with pings aswell? does it depend on the species or type of ping? for example maybe mexican pings being more capable to handle different mosses because of where it lives while bog pings like planifolia (i think) needing stricter conditions?

any info helps.

The reason most people don't like moss is that they can crowd out smaller CPs, like pygmy Drosera or the smaller Utricularia. Even live sphagnum can overgrow some CPs.
I've never heard of mosses being toxic for CPs, unless you are talking about using them for mediums, like green sheet moss, in which case it would definitely be toxic.
Larger plants such as Pinguicula should not have a problem with moss.

I have a moss problem here, but I encourage the growth of certain moss species here in my nepenthes, sarracenia, larger drosera and ping pots, many utrics however struggle with moss and can be chocked out, there are small mosses that work well with pygmy drosera, and this way they stop the larger mosses invading the pots.

My rule for pings and drosera is that if they are over 3cm diameter they are big enough to survive most mosses, if they are under it may choke them.

I also struggle to grow spag moss (its to hot here) so i grow a native moss (of the leucobryum family) in trays and use it as a soil for my nepenthes, larger pings and D.Adelae/prolifera (but schizandra hate it), so not all mosses are "bad" so to say if maneged correctly.

Back