What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is my last -stravaganza thread until the Sarracenia are ready in spring. I think I have a pretty unique setup for my pinguicula. At least I've never seen anyone else with a setup like it. I'll start with a tutorial showing how I made my setup for my pings. In the tutorial, the plant pictured is P. agnata

Step 1: Gather your supplies, a tub with water, dried LFS, some vinyl coated floral wire, and your Ping.

IMG_3412 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Step 2: Moisten your sphagnum in the water and mold it into a nest shape in your hand. When you set it down on the table it should hold its shape.

IMG_3413 by mcmcnair, on Flickrl

IMG_3415 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Step 3: insert one end of your floral wire into the center of the sphagnum nest and wrap the wire around the nest looping from top to bottom. I usually move it in a clockwise direction so there is wire at each point where a number would be on a clock. Then when I am satisfied that it will hold I insert the end of the wire back into the middle of the nest.

IMG_3416 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3417 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3418 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Step 4: Tie two loops on wire around opposite sides of the nest. These are for attaching the nest to the vertical eggcrate.

IMG_3419 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Step 5: Put your Ping into the nest and wrap either dried or live LFS around the base of the plant. I have not used live LFS but I imagine it would be a good indicator of when you need to water.

IMG_3420 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Step 6: Hang your Ping nest on the eggcrate and enjoy your Ping nest!

IMG_3552 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Now for the other Ping nests...
P. 'Sethos' from Lil Stinkpot

IMG_3549 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

P. moranensis (my first mexican ping) pictures are from oldest to newest

IMG_1910 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3211 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3314 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3553 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Same form of P. moranensis just a different nest with N. ampullaria Cyclops Mtns. photobombing

IMG_3557 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

A different form of P. moranensis

IMG_3554 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

P. 'Alfred Lau #13'

IMG_3555 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

I've got a bunch of Pings that I lost the tags for but I had them listed on my growlist, but they are too small to ID right now.

IMG_3558 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3551 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3550 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

And here is a pic of the whole panel

IMG_3559 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

I've got a couple more Pings that aren't in nests.
P. primuliflora with Fittonia in the background

IMG_3924 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

P. primuliflora 'Rose', a double flowered form, it hasn't bloomed for me yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

IMG_3928 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

P. medusina

IMG_3917 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

P. 'Sethos' leaf pullings from Lil Stinkpot, I took these about 2 weeks ago...

IMG_3926 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

P. lusitanicum from Kulamauiman's NASC auction

IMG_3929 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3930 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

That's it for now! Thanks for looking!

Very cool idea! That is a must-try. Some nice pings ya got there! Interested in any trading in the spring? So these are mounted in a tent-house?

I have something to send you in exchange for those Nep cuttings.

Very nice, love the idea! Are these in a greenhouse or terrarium?

Greenhouse/Terrarium... It's a giant Wardian Case. I'll post pics of it later this week. All my nepenthes and pings are in the same case, I have a humidifier pumping fog in there during the day with a fan running every hour and a half or so to provide some circulation.

Back