What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picked this up recently and thought it was something else entirely. It is now starting to take an upward growth habit to the leaves which kind of resemble the long arm form of capilaris. It also has the narrow petioles of something like nidiformis. There are hairy stipules along the margin of the petiole though I dont see them poking out of the growth point quite like spatulata. The new leaves have hairy undersides before unfolding. I thought it was very young strikes of D. adelae, silly me, and it might be D. collinsea as that was one I was supposed to have recieved at one point. Without flowers and not being able to get any closer of a shot this will be a challenge for the most seasoned taxonomist, but I have no doubt that eventually I'll be able to slap a tag on this noid.

definitely looks like a drosera collinsiae and if you got it from me i didn't have any other dews that looked like a collins other than a collins at the time.....i have rotundafolia but they were all in hiberbation.

Look like my little spatulata, but im not a drosera expert. Nice plant anyway :)

It could be a D. spatulata, but it looks a lot more like a Drosera capillaris.

I poured over the photos on carnivorous plant photo finder and I can certainly see the resemblance to collins. I also am no expert and hopefully will get a flower someday or more solid characteristics as it matures and really convince me. In any case thanks for weighing in!

Looks a lot like the long arm capillaris.

far as closer pics........if you use a magnifying lens in conjunction with your camera you can achieve a closer shot. it is somewhat difficult to tell with that angle. pretty sure it is a collins but i suppose there is an off chance it could be an obovata(ivan's paddle)....i was cloning those at the same time. I cannot recall the trade we made exactly(been a while) but it could be an obovata........if the little stems to the leaves are flat then it is probably an obovata and if they are round it is probably a collins.

It is hard for me to discern the shape of the little stems for the leaves.....that will be a dead giveaway.

more i look at it; the more i think it could be an obovata.

It is one of the 2 bc i wouldn't bother cloning spats.

what kind of lighting are you using? are you using just 6500k?

the look a little bushy compared to the collins i have and a little lacking in color compared to the obovata.

final answer 65 collins/35 obovata

It's difficult to make out any details from the photos. The angles don't reveal much about the leaf shape or that of the petioles. Not much details such as stipules or hairs on the back of the leaves. It doesn't have a South African "feel" to it. What is the shape of the cross-section of the petioles? They look concave from the photos. If the shape is more oval than flat I'd go with D. capillaris. If more flat than oval and hairy on the undersides maybe D. spatulata or South African.

Flowers and seed will give you a more positive ID. At least you can rule out what it isn't.

Thanks everyone! I have plenty of time to solve this riddle and I do enjoy a challenge. I wish it was Ivans Paddle, but I am skeptical.

@cpbobby: these are in fact plants I got from you in a trade and there was to be a collins in there. When I got the package tho you had thought it was the second biggest plant that was collins. That plant got frosted in the mail. These little guys were almost giving me the impression of stow aways. They were teensy, maybe 1/4" tall and wide. You said you had sent back extra plants that I had sent you, which could only have been adelae or fraser isl. spat. I don't recall all of the details, but I remember you sent a little regia, nidiformis, and the one that died which was probably not collins (it was a very tightly rosetted plant that best I could tell reminded me of slackii or maybe admirabilis shaped) and a few others which would be tough to confuse. (bladderworts etc.) So yeah, as far as the trade was concerned, it must be either collins or a mystery stow-away. Either way I am glad to have it! Thanks again.:)

hmm....i think i remember now. im fairly certain it is a collins then. im guessing u only use 6500k for growing lights? bc it is a bushy little collins. far as the rosetted one that perished.......most def one of my adult dielsiana's. Really liked that one too :(

Yeah it was a bummer. It looked like a piece of lettuce fresh out of the freezer. Kinda turned to green goo. It was pretty big to be Diel's. It was definitly the size of a quarter or bigger. Looked like it was a good looking plant at one point tho.

Back