What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That pitcher on the heliamphora bloom is pretty cool.

Yeah that popped up on a division I took to sell. Now my mother plant is doing the same thing again!

Really nice Roridula seedling.

Really nice Roridula seedling.

Unfortunately the smaller one has since died. I'm pretty sure I've been watering far too much, but it's really difficult to figure out how long these large pots can actually retain moisture when the surface is bone dry in 2 days.

The pitcher on the flower stalk is pretty standard for Heliamphora, first and sometimes second vegetative bracts retaining more standard leaf morphology.

I am loving that utricularia biloba flower, nice shot!

That N. adnata certainly is something special! Also, looking back, good luck with those N. pervillei, one of my favorites too. :)

That N. adnata certainly is something special! Also, looking back, good luck with those N. pervillei, one of my favorites too. :)

The adnata's been looking better and better. The next pitcher that is near opening is really intense red.

I'm still learning how to care for the pervillei (and vieillardii.) I've been keeping them much too wet since I have a hard time judging how much plants that don't like much water actually need to be watered. I'm still trying to figure that out for Drosophyllum and Roridula too.

Byblis lamellata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

This one decided it's time to wake up already.
Drosera pauciflora by Nimbulan, on Flickr

The only thing that survived winter in my aquatic plant tub, which is quite surprising considering it wasn't even in there last year...
Pondeteria cordata, blue pickerel by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes lowii, Trus Madi by Nimbulan, on Flickr

My first attempt at a flytrap pulling, finally showing some life after 2 months, and it even appears to be a double-trap leaf!
Dionaea muscipula 'FTS Flaming Lips' by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Mt. Hood used to be there... There's so much wildfire smoke being produced in CANADA that it's been incredibly hazy here, with severe air quality warnings on par with places like Beijing.
Mt. Hood by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nice Byblis. Hopefully you can cross-pollinate the two once the seedling gets big enough.

Nice Byblis. Hopefully you can cross-pollinate the two once the seedling gets big enough.

That's the plan. I need to get ahold of some viable Byblis gigantea seed now.

I like your lowii. Should be a very exciting plant in a few years.

I couldn't help but notice that you appear to be using crushed glass instead of sand! I never thought of that. Come to think of it, it has some advantages over typical sand. It is usually pretty clean- or can be easily cleaned, it does not break down for a long time, and it is readily available. It also looks nice!

I couldn't help but notice that you appear to be using crushed glass instead of sand! I never thought of that. Come to think of it, it has some advantages over typical sand. It is usually pretty clean- or can be easily cleaned, it does not break down for a long time, and it is readily available. It also looks nice!

This stuff actually needs to be cleaned pretty thoroughly - I don't think it's harmful to the plants, but it smells pretty funky since it's made out of recycled beverage bottles which very few people rinse before returning. Just recently I finally found a source of coarse natural sand that's actually cheaper than the glass so I may be switching over to that entirely.

Cool! I'm planning on doing some updating of my setup, lighting, etc today. Where do you get the smaller pots? I have some capensis seeds on the way, and they'll need some pots eventually.

Cool! I'm planning on doing some updating of my setup, lighting, etc today. Where do you get the smaller pots? I have some capensis seeds on the way, and they'll need some pots eventually.

I mostly use whatever pots I have on hand. I reuse a lot of pots from previous plant purchases, though recently I started buying some from Greenhouse Megastore

Nepenthes pulchra by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes pulchra by Nimbulan, on Flickr

I noticed the nectar on one of my N. ramispina pitchers crystallizing:
Nepenthes ramispina by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes ramispina by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Tuberous sundew shelf by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes mirabilis var. globosa by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Funnelweb spider web on Sarracenia by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera hamiltonii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

My excruciatingly slow-growing R. dentata:
Roridula dentata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

And my R. gorgonias which went a bit crazy with flowering and growth point division this year:
Roridula gorgonias by Nimbulan, on Flickr

And here's some astronomy pictures I've taken recently, including the recent eclipse.

The moon, obscured by wildfire smoke from British Columbia
The Moon by Nimbulan, on Flickr

The sun by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Eclipse pinhole projection through leaves by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Eclipsed sun with Venus by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Eclipsed sun with horizon by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Eclipse pinhole projection through leaves by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Moderate exposure during total eclipse by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Long exposure during total eclipse by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Total eclipse, August 21, 2017 by Nimbulan, on Flickr

This picture was taken with no filter on the camera because the wildfire smoke was so thick it was blocking as much light as solar filters do. Amazingly the image is quite clear.
The sun by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Your lamellata is looking good. Why are some of the tuberous Drosera pots missing tags?

That byblis flower is looking real nice. Its such a nice shade of purple.

Your lamellata is looking good. Why are some of the tuberous Drosera pots missing tags?

I'm too lazy to buy plant tags, so if my plants don't come with one I write on masking tape and mark the pot that way. If you look at the full size image you should be able to see the tape on the front edge of each pot.

Love the lamellata flower, but I'm loving those eclipse shots even more. So glad we went up to see the total eclipse; even 99% is nothing by comparison. The smoke shots are interesting too; never got a shot but I certainly saw the red sun for several days here. The fact that you can see sunspots is incredible...

Back