What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice to see your Roridula coming into bloom. I am hoping you can post some photos of the flowers opened. What does it take to get viable seed from this one?

nice set of pics, particularly like the roridula flower and d .cistiflora

I believe Roridula can be manually self-pollinated. I'm a bit confused about the flowers though, one of them opened partially a week ago and then closed back to a bud again and neither has shown any signs of opening since. The second bud has been increasing in size though.

I guess I spoke too soon. I attempted to pollinate it, but we'll see if it takes. Roridula certainly have strange anthers.

Roridula gorgonias by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Time for a picture dump! I got quite a few new plants since my last update.

Nepenthes madagascariensis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes pulchra by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes campanulata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes mikei by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera trichocaulis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera occidentalis x pulchella by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Tillandsia argentea by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes pervillei coin by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Some of these flowers and pitchers are open now but I haven't gotten around to taking another picture.
Sarracenia sp. by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Looks like I managed to self this flower

Byblis lamellata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes palawanensis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes lowii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes macfarlanei (probably x sanguinea) by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes vieillardii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes pervillei by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes pervillei by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Finally got ahold of my favorite flytrap cultivar.
Dionaea muscipula 'Alien' by Nimbulan, on Flickr

And the progression of an R. dentata seedling over the past month. These plants are certainly slow to get started but speed up significantly once they get to the point of developing leaves. Apparently it's also quite normal for the plant to be entirely unable to shed the seed coat and struggle to grow around it for a while. It makes me wonder how a plant evolved to grow like this.
Roridula dentata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Very nice! I've been kinda watching for an Alien flytrap too- congrats!

I've been wanting one for a long time too, but definitely not willing to pay the $60 they cost in this country (and probably for a smaller plant too.) I definitely need to be careful with this one since I lost all but one of my flytraps over the winter. What I really need are some taller pots so the rhizomes aren't so close to the water.

That Roridula seedling is really cool.

Great pictures! Pervillei is one of the few lowland nepenthes I'd like to try some day, good luck with them!

Just curious, what do you have them potted in?

Last edited:
Honestly pervillei is my favorite Nepenthes species. I was lucky enough to find seed-grown plants for sale for a very reasonable price so I bought 2 (and they sent me 3!) I actually need to split that third plant into its own pot since I had mixed up the soil for 2 plants and was too tired to do more once I discovered there were actually 3 plants in the bag. The media is 1 part peat, 2 parts sand, and 2 parts Turface. I spoke with someone who has been successful with a similar mix (though he used a bit less peat) so I thought I'd try it this way, rather than dropping $40+ on a bag of Akadama like a lot of people use.

At least one plant is thriving from my spring-sown seed experiment (this species is winter-growing.)
Drosera hilaris by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Hopefully this little guy will be fertile!
Drosera adelae by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia oreophila x flava var. rubricorpora by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia "Appalachian Spring" by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Sarracenia jonesii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes leonardoi by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Revived moss trying to swallow up my Neps...
Nepenthes sumatrana by Nimbulan, on Flickr

I still don't know what this plant actually is.
Nepenthes "Black Knight" ? by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Roridula gorgonias dividing like crazy, 5 growth points now!

Nepenthes vieillardii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Bad hair day
Nepenthes mirabilis var. globosa by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, the "Black Knight" certainly has ramispina in it, but can't tell if there's ventricosa influence or not. Good luck with the sumatrana too; the leaves get huge long before the pitchers do for me, but pitchers are worth the space needed.

Well, the "Black Knight" certainly has ramispina in it, but can't tell if there's ventricosa influence or not. Good luck with the sumatrana too; the leaves get huge long before the pitchers do for me, but pitchers are worth the space needed.

If it helps with an ID, this pitcher is more typical of what the plant has been producing. The plant is also extremely sticky - every surface is covered in drops of nectar.
Nepenthes "Black Knight" by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Out of curiosity what conditions do you provide for your sumatrana? I've been told the natural habitat is unusually cool for the low elevation they grow at.

Don't think that does help; most of what I see is still the ramispina influence, even less of a clue with that pitcher than the other possibly.

The two sumatrana forms I have (the one that I got as sumatrana and the other that was labeled beccariana, but pretty sure it's another sumatrana) are both on the upper shelves of the greenhouse, where temperatures probably don't drop below 70 F in winter and definitely hit at least 90 F during the day in summer. They grow faster during the hot months too; your claim is the first time I've ever heard anything other than the general assumption that they're lowland to ultra-lowland. They like it slightly shadier than most thanks to the forest habitat (much like longifolia, though both species do just fine under strong light for me), but otherwise standard humid lowland.

What is it about the plant that makes you think of N. ramispina? I have one growing right next to it and am not seeing the resemblance myself.

I heard about the climate from someone who visited there - I believe he mentioned especially that the nights were unusually cool. I've heard that N. sumatrana often grows in direct sunlight myself. My plants certainly seem to be handling growing in one of the brightest spots in my grow space just fine. On the other hand while they grew quite fast last year, growth definitely slowed down a lot over the winter since I've been growing them at room temperature. They certainly handle the cooler temperatures better than mirabilis var. globosa though. I think I'll try moving them to my high light lowland shelf now that I have one set up and see how they do. I need them to grow faster so the moss doesn't completely smother them anyway!

Every photo I've seen of ramispina are dark plants with elongate pitchers, coloration being almost like a matte reddish to purple/black, and uppers are far lighter with anything from stripes of dark color on green background to a washed out or speckled look, lighter interior compared to the outside (sometimes straight white), small but distinct hip on the pitcher, and the ribs that replace the wings in uppers are nearly always strongly present even in hybrids, giving a nearly rectangular cross-section to the lower portion of the pitchers. Your plant presents all such characters to some extent.

Heliamphora heterodoxa by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Byblis lamellata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera hilaris by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Utricularia biloba by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera lanata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes vogelii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes vogelii by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes adnata by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes platychila by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera spiralis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

This leaf cutting took 7 months to strike...
Drosera capensis 'Albino' x aliciae by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera prolifera by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Western scrub jay chick by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Nepenthes "Triffid" by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosophyllum lusitanicum by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera capensis 'Albino' x aliciae by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Dionaea muscipula 'Alien' by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera filiformis by Nimbulan, on Flickr

Drosera x hybrida "Butterfly Valley" by Nimbulan, on Flickr

And last but not least...a picture I took of the sun
The sun by Nimbulan, on Flickr

That pitcher on the heliamphora bloom is pretty cool.

Back