What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New camera came today - a few macro test shots

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Got my Sony a65 body today.
They tried to deliver it yesterday, but who's home at 10:30am? A lot of people work at that time.
So today I had to use a half day vacation to leave at 9:30am to get home and wait for the camera. What a terrible thing to have to do on a Friday. :-))

I'm really liking this camera.
Some quick test macro shots.

orchid.jpg

heliflower.jpg

ceph.jpg

ceph1.jpg

dew1.jpg

dew.jpg

oh my.... awesome camera and awesome skills

very cool. the cephalotus shots were my favorite of the bunch.

Great shots!!

Sweet! And you can use the Maxxum AF lenses. Some of the macro lenses are top-notch. The Mind of Minolta lives on.

How does the EVF work out for you?

Wow!!! Now that is what I want to be able to do.

I wish my new camera took good macro shots. I have to use my old one for macro. The new one has awesome zoom though!

O_O Plants as I've never seen them before! Amazing!

Is this the camera with the translucent mirror? I like what I see.

everything is so sparkly.. :drool:

Egads!

Thanks for the comments.

amphirion - The second shot of the cephs is my favorite.

Not a Number - I'm having no problems adjusting to the EVF at all. In fact I keep forgetting I have live view now on the large screen to look at, so I'm almost always looking through the EVF.
I'm pretty impressed with it in almost dark conditions as well. If I turn off the lights and just have the computer monitor illuminating the room and focus across the room it's grainy, but can make everything out.

JB_OrchidGuy - With a good macro lens and extension tubes.... oh don't forget the tripod.

Wire Man - Yes this is the second generation for Sony's translucent mirror. I think it's the fastest amateur camera with 10 fps burst.

Shooting some more tests:
This next picture was a shot at 1/100 of a sec / ISO 1600. Has a good amount of grain, but this is what the old cameras grain looked like at ISO 400.
test1.jpg

This is where the impressive comes in. This shot is 1/125 of a sec / ISO 6400. A lot less grain visible then the 1600 shot. It does that by shooting 6 shots and combining all the shots together to make the final picture. Different grain pattern on each shot and then when combined, they get blended all together.
test2.jpg

The final item here is a video test. This is a partial clip of my wife singing Christina Perri - Jar Of Hearts.
First time playing with the video. Wanted to focus on the mic stand a few times. Not sure I had the face detection on.... Could have always went into manual focusing.. LOL
Video quality (might not be able to tell here with all the compression going on) is great and picking up of the sound. Her accompanist was across the room playing.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cw4BRKKpdKc?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cw4BRKKpdKc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

very impressed with this camera.

Last edited:
Back