What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa, Alaskan windowsill Nepenthes: A Testamant to Endurance.

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
This is the healthy and awesome Nepenthes ventricosa on the day that I received it from flytrapshop.com on May 30th, 2009.

029.jpg

028.jpg

By December 2009, it was unable to adapt well enough to my rugged, cold and dim Alaskan window sill. The mites sink in.. I thought it might be the end.

SANY0273.jpg

But it did start the basal.

SANY0274.jpg

February of 2010, the main stem sputtered and tried to continue on, multiple off shoots started at each internode. The mites continued on.

SANY0389.jpg

Meanwhile, the basal produced the first pitcher in my care.

SANY0387.jpg

By April of 2010, the basal eventually starting growing more than the main stem.

DSCN5544.jpg

It produced the second ever pitcher that the plant ever made for me.

DSCN5543.jpg

19 months has gone by since the last series of pictures. A lost chapter in the life of this N. ventricosa. Mites came again, conquered what was left of the main vine. The basal now was the only growth left and was battered with mites and a dark, miserable spring. This was going to be the end. Until, out of nowhere, boxofrain so generously and graciously supplied me with some insecticide. I sprayed the plant once and for all, and the mites were conquered.

Fast forward to present day, December 3rd, 2011.

Nepenthes ventricosa, as grown on harsh suboptimal southeast Alaskan windowsill.

DSCN6515.jpg

Complete with micro-ecosystem spider and prey, this plant has made the transition into a stabilized, growing plant.

DSCN6518.jpg

And two years and 6 months later it produces its first ever true pitcher in my care.

DSCN6516.jpg

:clap:

:clap: Congrats! That nep is looking good.

- Mark

What a survivor! *Tearing up* :cry:

thats one hardy nep,surely nothing can stop it now

Rambo's brother in the Kingdom Plantae Carnivora *drum roll*

Nepenthes ventricosa

You just can't kill this guy, truly it deserves another round of applause :clap:

:clap: Wow impressive!!
I always find that spiders make webs arund the base of my neps to keep off pests.

Awww YAY! :cry: such a beautiful story.

Bomb proof plant, that it is. I remember a ventricosa I had a couple years back, stuck it outside for the summer and forgot about it. Come fall I go out to check it and it had vined, flowered twice, and made three basals :0o:

Looks great! Congrats!

Back