What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bicalcarata algae (?) assistance

Hey everyone:

My N. bical. has a bit of slimy, green algae-ish growth on the top of its potting medium (long fiber sphagnum). I tried removing the offending sphagnum and putting new stuff on, but the algae seems to have grown back. My initial thought was that it was due to poor air circulation, but I'm not sure that's it. I've isolated the plant in its own terrarium, accompanied only by U. sandersonii, in the hopes of preventing the spread of this unsightly pest. I was wondering, however, if anyone else had this problem and what will correct it. Thoughts?

I guess my other symptom is that the N. bical. is very slow growing. I've never grown a bical before, but it's putting out one leaf for every 4-5 other Neps are putting out. I'm thinking it has something to do with the potting medium.

The algae is feeding on something. Are you fertilizing or treating the plant with anything? How hard is the water you are giving it? Are you sitting the pot in a water dish, or letting it drain? Any one or combination of these can cause algae growth. How old is the media? I recirculate the water in the bottom of the terrarium, and over time nutrients build up in it. I must change it regularly. Do you recirculate?

Nope, no fertilizer on my end, but I did acquire it from the nursery potted. Perhaps they fertilized it. I'll try changing out the medium more thoroughly.
I've only had it about two months, so I doubt my water is building up nutrients.

Thanks!

Can you post a picture? They really are worth a thousand words, and a hundred question. ;)

Is it standing in water? That can lead to media rot, which feeds the algae.

Sounds a bit like plasmodial slime molds -- what were once considered fungi. They are generally harmless to the plant but definitely fugly . . .

My lil 2 cents :)

I dont think algae can harm your plants.
Each time i had a algae problem with a nepenthes, or any other plant, i resolve the problem by reducing the watering. Anyway, i always had better results when i grow my plants on the dry side.

Okay, slime mold thing seems to have gone away with a change of medium. Now, I have a weird white fungus coming from the long fiber sphagnum. Definitely smells fungal. Picture above. (Sorry, didn't think to take picture of slime mold before that went away).

Apparently, this plant doesn't like me.

The more u change the medium, the more u repot bical, its going to go into transplant shock, and transplant shock for bical isnt fun, leaves turn black within hours. Just leave the fungus, slime or white fungus there, i have grown seedlings beside these fungus before

The picture does not show up on my screen. Don't know why.
Bical is quite hardy at lowland condition. Not sure how is your terrarium condition. Here, bical produces ~1 leaf every month. Slow in leaf production but the plant gains size fast. Every new leaf is bigger. A plant starts at 10cm leaf span will get to 70cm after 3 years.

If your plant is putting out healthy new leaves and pitchers, despite slow, probably you want to let it alone.

I'm not sure what's going on with the photo. I've tried again. If it doesn't work it's at flickr[dot]com/photos/28088813@N03/9617726396/

My lil 2 cents :)

I dont think algae can harm your plants.
Each time i had a algae problem with a nepenthes, or any other plant, i resolve the problem by reducing the watering. Anyway, i always had better results when i grow my plants on the dry side.

All you need to do to get rid of algae is to just let it dry a bit. I had huge green sheets of gunk growing in my flytraps' tray, but when they dried out it was fine.

Back