What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxoftherose

Thread Reaper
Three years ago, I picked up a sundew at Lowes on impulse. I ended up growing it in a terrarium with fir bark in the bottom (I know better now, don't worry.). Earlier this year, I decided to make a much more informed attempt at growing carnivorous plants, and transferred them into plastic pots with a LFS/peat moss/perlite blend, and they've perked up considerably. However, in the three months since I started educating myself on the taxonomy and cultivation of these plants, I haven't been able to come up with a positive ID on these.
drosera3.jpg

drosera2.jpg

I'm sure I just haven't looked enough, but I figured I'd ask here anyways. I will get better pictures if quality is an issue. Thanks for looking!

Quite possibly adelae especially if they were from a death cube.

That looks like the young version of D. adelae.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks you guys! These will be up for trade once they get a little larger, if anyone wants one.

Here's are examples:

Picture018.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

I didn't know that they would spread at that level of maturity- I started out with one, but now, three years later, I have eight. Also, they curl lengthwise when they're fed. They have the same growth form as D. glabripes, do you think that might be a possibility? I almost hope that they're D. adelae, though, since they're my favorites.

Most of the D. glabripes in the US is actually a natural hybrid of D. glapripes and D. aliciae - D. ×corinthiaca. D. glapripes forms a stem like D. drosera madagascariensis

My D. glabripes is about 30 cm tall now (old photo):
P5220089.jpg

This is D. ×corinthiaca
01300003.jpg

Last edited:
Over the past week or so, three new seedlings have cropped up in the one pot of mystery sundews. I'll edit this post with pictures later this week.

maybe you damaged the roots transplanting and got root cuttings

I didn't know that they would spread at that level of maturity- I started out with one, but now, three years later, I have eight. Also, they curl lengthwise when they're fed. They have the same growth form as D. glabripes, do you think that might be a possibility? I almost hope that they're D. adelae, though, since they're my favorites.

D. glabripes from a Lowes is extremely, extremely unlikely.

The new plants are probably not seedlings (unless you had a flower that you didn't mention,) and Mickey is probably right-on that they are offshoots from the roots. This further supports the guess that it's D. adelae, since they tend to produce tons of offshoots.

Back