What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My VFT is Flowering. Do I Cut It or Let It Grow?

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
If your Venus Flytrap is flowering and you are unsure about what to do, read below:

In the spring, a flower stalk will grow straight up in the middle of the plant on a round stem. The young tip will look a bit like a closed fist. It will continue to grow and form buds. These buds will open into little white flowers.

You may have heard that allowing your VFT to flower will kill it. THIS IS A MYTH. Allowing your plant to flower is a purely personal preference. If you want VFT seed and/or you just like the naturalness and beauty of the flowers, then by all means let it flower.

Any plant making flowers (and later seed) will expend "plant energy" on this production. Its the same for a VFT. It may slow the overall growth of the plant down a bit temporarily but it will NOT cause the plant to die.

Always think about what occurs in nature. No one is tippy-toeing around in bogs snipping off flower stalks so the wild VFTs don't die. Plants in the wild enjoy their natural cycle of flowering, making seed and growing just fine without us human's crazy interventions. :)

If you have a plant that is in poor health for whatever reason (lack of care, excess heat/dehydration, impure water, damage, etc.), it would probably be beneficial to remove a flower stalk so the plant's energy can go to recovery.

Otherwise, the rule is simple: Like the flowers? Let it grow! Don't care? Cut them off!

Whichever way you prefer it is just fine.

Could you post pictures of what thethe stem look like?I would love my plant to reproduce but i believe its in poor health at the momment

Always think about what occurs in nature. No one is tippy-toeing around in bogs snipping off flower stalks so the wild VFTs don't die.

you're forgetting that the habitat in a bog is completely different than at our home's...well most of our homes that is ;)

You may have heard that allowing your VFT to flower will kill it. IT MIGHT BE A MYTH THAT THIS IS A MYTH.

you cant say with 100% certainty that its a myth..
sometimes flowering does not kill a VFT..
but if a plant is already weak, flowering could, and has, killed plants..

and its usually newbies who have the question "is it ok to let my VFT flower?"
and its usually newbies who have weak plants..
so IMO its still excellent advice to say "cut the flower stalk off..dont let it flower"..
because that advice will increase the odds of a newbies plants survival..

IMO, its irresponsible to declare it an outright myth..
because it CAN kill plants..
therefore its not a myth.
people should be still told letting a VFT flower MIGHT kill a plant..
especially if its a new plant or a weak plant..

Scot

I think this myth comes from the fact that some plants, such as various agaves, do die immediately after flowering as part of their natural life cycle. VFTs do not behave in this manner, and flowering will not kill them. I suppose it is possible that the energy expenditure associated with flowering could push a sick plant over the edge, but in general, VFTs do not die after flowering.

I allow Dionaea to flower on occasion and have never lost a plant due to any blooming. The decision usually depends upon whether I wish to collect seed or -- more honestly -- whether I am around when they are flowering . . .

If you can manage it, simply grow them outside in full sun and they will be hardened enough to both avoid pests and to tolerate annual blooming . . .

I've read in the Savage Garden that flowering takes an exhausting effect on the plants and it's advised to trim the flowers.

I just bought a new fly trap yesterday and it's starting to send up a flower stalk. I guess I'll keep it and see what happens.

I've read in the Savage Garden that flowering takes an exhausting effect on the plants and it's advised to trim the flowers.

I just bought a new fly trap yesterday and it's starting to send up a flower stalk. I guess I'll keep it and see what happens.

Strangely enough, all of the Dionaea I saw at D'Amato's nursery the other day -- for sale or on display -- were either actively blooming or throwing out spikes. Perhaps he's rethought that earlier advice . . .

Pics
(also, see above reply by Scottychaos; if you want bigger traps, cut the flower stalks low, as soon as you identify it as a flower stalk)

Flower bud prior to blooming (the bud is just under the "b" in "blooming" - they're hard to mistake):
VFT-bloom.jpg

VFT flowers:
VFTFlower1.jpg

This is a Lowes cube of death plant that I bought this winter:

100_05541.jpg

Picture013-3.jpg

Picture081-1.jpg

Picture006-2.jpg

Picture049.jpg

It lives on.. now outside!

it is ok to let your venus flytrap to flower IF it is three years or older if it is younger i would advise cutting it odff if it is two years or younger.

If you do cut the flower stalk as close to the bulb as possible and plant it,it will produce a young VFT!
Good luck
34.jpg

Last edited:
Flowering is a bit iffy from what I've read. If it's growing in marginal or less than ideal conditions, flowering will probably kill it. If you take marvelous care of it and it's nice and healthy, you could try, but growing flytraps from seed is impractical. They take years to mature.

EDIT: Speaking of Venus flytraps flowering, I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to notice a very dense clump of green stuff in the center of my plant. After five minutes of poking, using a magnifying glass, and more poking, I determined that--surprise!--my flytrap is going to bloom in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Back