What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm currently in Tofino, BC, on day 9 of an 11-day excursion to British Columbia. Managed to see a lot more CP's than I thought I would. Day 1 of the trip was in Seattle and I visited a certain place that grows and sells carnivorous plants. Saw a lot of cool plants there and bought a few. I can't even remember all I purchased, they'll be shipped next week sometime, after I get back. They were all Sarracenia, except my son picked out a venus fly trap, so he wouldn't feel left out I guess. I do know I picked out a Doreen's Colossus, Tapestry, odyssey x leucophylla, moorei, leuco x oreo, and a couple of complex crosses with Judith Hindle that looked pretty cool. In Victoria, BC, we visited the Victoria Butterfly Gardens and they had a CP display in there. Although it was not in very good shape. The Sarracenia looked terrible. They had a lot of huge Nepenthes, but only one of them had any pitchers on it. I don't know much about Nepenthes culture, but they apparently were doing something wrong. In Tofino, BC, we hiked a trail that went around a coastal bog. Saw lots of Drosera rotundifolia in there, as well as one cobra lily plant, the result of someone scattering seeds in there in 1999. I found an article online that discussed it a bit. It sounds like at one point there were several plants growing, but were not doing well. The plant I found may be the last one left, as I couldn't find any more anywhere, and they supposedly were all growing in the same spot. I posted a pic in the pitcher plant thread. Anyway, i'm kind of ready to head home, although we have a couple days yet, and a whale-wathcing trip tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous to see how my outdoor Sarracenia have fared, as we actually had a late freeze and snow last weekend. Not worried about the plants, but the couple dozen flower stalks that were approaching blooming time.

It is too bad you didn't wait a month or two before seeing the Butterfly Gardens, a friend of mine just started working there in the past few days, and I have a feeling that with his skills he will be able to get the CPs there looking much better. Glad you enjoyed your time in Canada!

Back