What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mealys or something else?

I guess I should have expected it sooner or later, but I think I have a problem. I have these white patches on my S. leucophylla. I'm thinking they might be mealys, but I'm honestly not sure. I don't see any around the rhizome, and these spots aren't like anything I've seen online. These spots are just on the pitchers. In playing with my new camera, I've gotten these pictures.

disease1_zps6c91ad7e.jpg

disease2_zpsac94c628.jpg

Are these mealys? I wouldn't be too surprised if they were. I found mealys on a phal of mine that I didn't immediately repot when I bought it from Lowes (learned my lesson). However, this orchid is inside and upstairs and my plants are outside on the back porch. I've also noticed a lot of ants around my plants recently. I didn't think they were a problem, but I read that they can cultivate mealys. So. What do I have? How should I treat it?

I'd also be interested in the answer to your question because my S. Leucophylla has the same white patches.

In my experience, Elizabeth, mealy bugs can leave white patches like that, but I have always seen the mealy bugs with the white patch... or at least some place on the plant. Are there any dead leaf bases still attached to the rhizome? Those can harbor the critters and hide them well. I guess I am suggesting a closer examination if possible.

I have never had spider mites, but can't they leave webby residue? They are also mich harder to see. Then again, I believe their damage is usually readily obvious, so I do not know if they are a real concern or not.

Hi Elizabeth
I agree with Corey, there is normally more cotton like white 'stuff' if they are mealy bugs, plus normally you can see them on the plant too, a bit like white greenfly, they seldom move off a plant. I would suggest that that is the webbing of a spider, have a good look round to make sure its not red spider mite.

Cheers
Steve

End-of-season Mildew. S. leucophylla and its hybrids tend to do this in August, especially in circumstances where air movement may not be ideal, or if the plants are not regularly rinsed by rain. Its not as big deal, and its not something that requires intervention. And its not insects.

That looks like a perfectly normal Leuco to me- they are known to be a "splotchy" variety ranging from the white you see to even purple or red. Based on my own sarracenia I would say this is cause by light intensity. My Dixie Lace got much more colorful when June-August hit.

I agree with Whimgrinder =)

Whimgrinder for the win! He makes a lot of sense.

I don't have any dead pitchers on my plants. This is the first season I've had them, so nothing left over from the winter either.

You know. We've had a very very wet summer up until a couple of weeks ago. That's about when I'd see some patches like this appear. And spiders (no little red mites) just love my plants. Thank you, whimgrinder. You've really set my nerves at ease. :) You guys are the best.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean anything.

Mealybugs in the roots
P2280040.jpg

Mealybugs under dead leaf base: now you don't
IMGP6122_zpscbe428c5.jpg

Now you see 'em! (dead leaf had been trimmed off, base remained)
IMGP6123_zpsa0293b2b.jpg

That white stuff around the seam of the leaf base means there are mealybugs in there even though you can't see them
IMGP6121_zps6c04e3c7.jpg

Those little spaces at the leaf base are where the females like to nest. I had sprayed a stream of systemic pesticide into these areas the day before which partially flushed these out. Otherwise you couldn't see them easily.
IMGP6119_zpsd3739c93.jpg

IMGP6115_zpsb0e26ec8.jpg

Whim called it..
just minor mildew (mold) spots..no biggie.
you could probably wipe them off with a damp paper towel, although at this time of year, there is no real need to do so..

its been a humid summer around here, all the leaves on my pumpkin vines have virtually
melted away from white powdery mold of some variety..

Scot

Back