What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Robert suggest how you would know if Ca deficiency was becoming an issue? How does it manifest itself?

If I remember correctly he said that the leaves will become yellowish and weak.
Don, yeah he said it can be supplemented by feeding the plant with calcium rich insects or giving it water with some amount of calcium.

Calcium deficiency typically occurs as chlorosis, distortion, and necrosis of leaf tips on young leaves. Now that I think about it the little lid syndrome maybe a sign of calcium deficiency. Just thinking out loud though.

Has anyone thought about reconstituting the RO water with some raw tap water before watering? This goes back to when I was breeding discus and mixed 50/50 RO and tap to soften water to encourage them to spawn. Maybe in the case of Neps, use 90% RO to 10% tap (ratio can be adjusted based on the parameters of your water supply) and thoroughly flush with pure RO monthly.

Having said that, RO water is not "pure" water so some calcium may pass through.

I feed my Neps with a fish food that includes calcium. Seems to be doing the trick. Richard, have you tried the dried milk with your Neps?

I feed my Neps with a fish food that includes calcium. Seems to be doing the trick. Richard, have you tried the dried milk with your Neps?

I have on occasion, but not frequently. Usually I just use ferts. However, I have found that Neps Digest raw egg very well and I may start feeding my neps with raw egg, and throw in some of the shell for calcium. We'll see how that works. I'm not sure if Neps are adapted to absorbing much calcium through their traps though, but it's worth a try.

In regards to little lid syndrome: maybe that's what's wrong with my N. ramispina, though the rest of my neps don't have the problem

Im no nep-daddy so speaking from the heli world...

just a word of caution, too much is also bad.... while calcium is needed by the plant for normal micronutrient uptake, too much calcium blocks the adsorbtion of mg and other micronutrients

(nutrient induced micronutrient inhibition)

Since I only use tapwater on my plants, which contains calcium, I find it difficult to believe that the "little lid syndrome" is caused by this. I have only ever seen it on plants that have been disturbed by either relocation, humidity fluctuations, or irregular temperatures. Some people will say they've seen it when nothing has occurred, but I think they may not be paying close enough attention..

A way to check for calcium deficiency is to look for any small spots of dead cells on the meristem or see if the roots are stunted. Deformation of young leaves is also a symptom, but can very often be attributed to other problems.

I think it is due to a change to lower humidity, maybe it's similar to the hamata derp teeth thing.

Back