What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Mostly putting feelers out for this one. I have one division of Leah with two or more well-established growth points, and another with one mature growth point and a particularly large rhizome that may produce more points this season (fingers crossed.) Material from Brooks himself, won from the 2006 (I think) NASC auction. At this point, I'm inclined to hold on to them and let them divide further, but curious to know what they're going for these days. Make me an offer and I'll try to give you an up-front answer as to whether or not it's enough for me to want to release one in the short term. My temperates haven't quite begun waking up yet this year, but I think I have a full-sized pitcher from last year that fell under my benches and dried out, so I'll try to get some pics up here shortly.
WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
I'll just copy-and-paste from my N. alata x maxima post; the same reasoning applies here. I absolutely will not trade these for a larger quantity of common plants. I appreciate such offers, and apologize for not being able to entertain them, but I simply do not have the means to take on much more at this time. Valuable/rare plants, larger/vining Nepenthes that I can use for future clones, or temperate plants appropriate for cold and wet Pacific NW winters are preferred.
Alternately, growing equipment, computer/electronics parts, RC toys, CP books, hard-to-find videogames, etc. may pique my interest. Being that my major constraints are time and growing space, I can be much more flexible on non-plant offers. No promises, but I may also be persuaded to trade for proportionate groups of common Mexi-Pings or other characteristically small species, though only on the condition that you can hold your side of the trade until a later date when I have space and materials to pot up new additions to my collection - in such situations I'm happy to advance you my plants so long as I recognize you to be a reliable and trustworthy part of the community.
If you PM me with an offer, please clearly state what you're looking for in the title to help me stay organized.
Thanks for looking. :)
~Joe

Last edited:
I also have a nice division of 'Leah', straight from the Wilkerson bog, also got it from Brooks.
I paid $70 for it back in the day, (2005) but IMO Leah is a bit over-rated.
I wouldnt pay that much now..maybe $40.

Yes, she is gorgeous in her prime, but I have found her to be a somewhat poor grower..
only puts our 3 or 4 pitchers a season! and quite a bit of phyllodia..
maybe its my particular microclimate..but other Sarrs I have, in the exact same climate, do much better and are much more vigorous..so im inclined to "blame" Leah..(well..I love her anyway! ;)

having said that, I do know she is still much in demand..a division is probably worth $40 to $80 or so..
or whatever the market will bear..

But selling to a fellow hobbyist, (like someone else on this forum for example) I would tend to go on the more reasonable side..maybe $30 or $40 or so..
still a fair price IMO, but not exorbitant.
in fact, I gave a Leah division away last Spring! for free.. just because I wanted to..(im not in this hobby for the money..actually, I have never once actually sold anything..)

So thats my view on Leah..
very unique..quite beautiful yes..but not quite worth all the hype IMO..

(and I believe Brooks has been working on getting Leah into tissue culture, and if that comes to pass, she will be very easily available, and the price will drop dramatically..)

Scot

Um... thanks for that "endorsement." Do you really think that type of comment is appropriate for someone else's trading thread? If you ask me, it's exceptionally rude.
~Joe

Good luck to whomever gets this plant. :)

I take it Brooks has you covered then? I was expecting to hear from you.
~Joe

isnt everybody here except for a few rude?

What was rude?
im confused..
I thought you were looking for opinions as to value of a Leah Wilkerson division?
So I gave that to you..my opinion.
how is that rude?
(I actually didnt know that this was a "trading thread"..does that matter?)

Scot

I take it Brooks has you covered then? I was expecting to hear from you.
~Joe

No, not yet. I want someone else to have this plant, they deserve it better than I do, even though it would save me a lot of money. :p

I also have a nice division of 'Leah', straight from the Wilkerson bog, also got it from Brooks.
I paid $70 for it back in the day, (2005) but IMO Leah is a bit over-rated.
I wouldnt pay that much now..maybe $40.

Yes, she is gorgeous in her prime, but I have found her to be a somewhat poor grower..
only puts our 3 or 4 pitchers a season! and quite a bit of phyllodia..
maybe its my particular microclimate..but other Sarrs I have, in the exact same climate, do much better and are much more vigorous..so im inclined to "blame" Leah..(well..I love her anyway! ;)

having said that, I do know she is still much in demand..a division is probably worth $40 to $80 or so..
or whatever the market will bear..

But selling to a fellow hobbyist, (like someone else on this forum for example) I would tend to go on the more reasonable side..maybe $30 or $40 or so..
still a fair price IMO, but not exorbitant.
in fact, I gave a Leah division away last Spring! for free.. just because I wanted to..(im not in this hobby for the money..actually, I have never once actually sold anything..)

So thats my view on Leah..
very unique..quite beautiful yes..but not quite worth all the hype IMO..

(and I believe Brooks has been working on getting Leah into tissue culture, and if that comes to pass, she will be very easily available, and the price will drop dramatically..)

Scot

Hey Scot

From my experience, I would tend to disagree with you on Leah. Maybe it is just your growing conditions but when I acquired my small single crown from Brooks back in March ’06, I was still living in Michigan with a much shorter growing season. She spent 2 years in MI and 3 in CA.

Since March ’06, I have given away 4 mature multi-crown divisions and still have 3 mature multi-crown divisions in my possession. Although she’s not the fastest grower in my collection, I would still have to rate her as a 6 or 7 with 10 being the quickest. And I think she blows away most other Sarrs for size and beauty (even the flowers are gorgeous). This is one plant that will always be a part of my collection.

It’s hard to put a value on something so stunning but IMO she is worth all the hype.

The pic below is just one of the divisions. Now I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, but this is one magnificent plant and I think everyone's definition of value is unique to themselves.:)
52091639x850.jpg

What was rude?
im confused..
I thought you were looking for opinions as to value of a Leah Wilkerson division?
So I gave that to you..my opinion.
how is that rude?
(I actually didnt know that this was a "trading thread"..does that matter?)

Scot

Well, sorry to be snappish - that wasn't necessarily called for on my part. I'm a little sensitive about the restrictions I've been facing lately but that's a poor excuse for bad manners.
I do think it's rude to call a plant's value into question on a trade offer though, especially in such verbosity, much less as the first reply to the thread. I said I'm curious to know what they're going for, yes, but immediately after that - on the very same line no less - I said I'm waiting to hear offers. I don't think it's too much to expect that you would put two and two together and figure out that I'm not asking for opinions on the general worth of the plant but rather soliciting interested parties to contact me, with the caveat that I'm not yet committed to letting a plant go immediately because I know the market for this particular cultivar has been gradually changing.
Given the title of the thread and the rest of the contents of my original post it's a fairly glaring oversight, but I can understand failing to notice that this was a post on the trade board. That said, I think it's bad form to diminish the value of an offering in someone else's thread when they haven't even set concrete expectations as to what they want in exchange. I wouldn't do that even with someone I knew to be a deadbeat trader (which would really be more of an issue for the mods anyway.) The one exception I might see would be an offer that appears deliberately and/or wildly misleading.
Anyways, I would agree with Fred that the charm of this plant is not necessarily in its vigor (I can't think of any leuco forms or primary hybrids that can honestly claim vigor relative to other Sarracenia) but rather in its shapely beauty and notability as being the largest specimen on record among the entire genus. This has value both aesthetically and as raw material for those interested in producing hybrids. It is exceptional in terms of leaf height/individual growth habits, but more than that it's truly in class all its own given the size of the original mother plant (I believe the branching rhizome spread more than six feet across when first discovered.) Even after having it in my collection for five years I'm utterly amazed to watch new growth shoot up centimeters by the hour, or see it hold four foot tall, six inch wide pitchers perfectly erect in the wind of my third-story balcony. It's a pleasure to grow and while it might not be as amazingly fecund as, say, my Hummer's Hammerhead, it's a reliable performer that never pouts even in unfavorable conditions. The bugs love it and so do I.
~Joe

PS - Lime, there's still a chance. Some people may perhaps do a better job with it, but you're young enough that you could get several good years in with it before you might have to leave for college or the like. I've yet to dig up my pots and get a precise count on growth points, so I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Hey Scotty,
Very happy to hear that you just GAVE AWAY such a potentially valuable specimen, thereby demonstrating an immunity to the hypnocratic methodology used to separate egoplantonomics from simple appreciation and sharing of the beauty. You have my respect, good sir!
LOL, a plant is "worth" exactly what P.T Barnum said, hmmmm? Grow them, love them and share that love. Use those growth points to make good friends and then ask what exactly that friend is worth....
Brooks gave so many away for free, didn't he?
Just my 5 bucks worth of thought.

Joe,
sorry, I honestly didnt notice this was the "trading forum"..that wasnt even in my mind when I typed my reply..I always read posts using "new posts"..then I skim the thread titles, but almost never notice what forum a thread is in..
But you DID ask! ;)
Was I only supposed to give my opinion if it was a HIGH opinion of value? ;)
somehow it seems that way to me..I dont think you would have complained if I had said I think a division is worth $200..

but yes..I do see your point that maybe I "brought down" your trading offer right of the bat..sorry about that..but that wasnt my intention at all..I was just honestly answering a question. I still think Leah is a great plant! no question about it..But a division is not worth $100 IMO..(which has probably happened)..I just think its over-hyped lately..nothing really against Leah herself..but you asked, so I answered! :)

Scot

(thanks Tamlin!)

Joe,
sorry, I honestly didnt notice this was the "trading forum"..that wasnt even in my mind when I typed my reply..I always read posts using "new posts"..then I skim the thread titles, but almost never notice what forum a thread is in..
But you DID ask! ;)
Was I only supposed to give my opinion if it was a HIGH opinion of value? ;)
somehow it seems that way to me..I dont think you would have complained if I had said I think a division is worth $200..

but yes..I do see your point that maybe I "brought down" your trading offer right of the bat..sorry about that..but that wasnt my intention at all..I was just honestly answering a question. I still think Leah is a great plant! no question about it..But a division is not worth $100 IMO..(which has probably happened)..I just think its over-hyped lately..nothing really against Leah herself..but you asked, so I answered! :)

Scot

(thanks Tamlin!)

I believe leaving it at $30-$40 would have been in better taste. Is a Nep. edwardsiana really worth $150+?? To me, no. I'll wait until it comes down, and if it doesn't, guess I'll never get it. It's just a plant, but the desire of someone to own it makes it valuable in the eyes of some people. Let those people decide worth and value.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

PM sent.
Thanks for your consideration!
Joshua

I second Fred and Joe in that Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' is also one of my favorite (if not favorite) plants. I've had her for two growing seasons now. The first one she sent up a total of 4 pitchers and had one growth point... in just the second growing season she now has 8 open pitchers and has 4 growth points. Most of the pitchers are beautiful, standing 30+ inches tall and having a voracious appetite for yellow jackets :) She was also the first Sarracenia to wake up, beating out all of my flavas! To me, when looking at the complete package, I think Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' is really hard to top.

Good luck Joe. Definitely a beautiful plant that I would be going for if I did not have one.

Phil

Very noble how you two avoided a all-out brawl. Kudos to both of you.
Unfortunately for me, I read the first three posts, and went and popped some MW popcorn to enjoy what I thought was going to be a flame war.
Sorry, just in that kind of mood, lol. Anybody else ever feel like that?
Good luck with the possible trade. It's worth is whatever you think it is, no matter which side you are on.

Cheers,

Joe

PS Hopefully it was not rude to jump in on a thread about a trade w/o being part of the trade. If so, sorry.

Back