What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little black pest

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
My Sundews are being attacked by some type of pest that I'm having a hard time controlling. I'm sorry if these are a duh-duh comment pest, but I havn't been able to find a good match on the description of them through my searches.

They seem pretty straight forward, tiny, tip of a pencil size, totally black, and seem to be in some type of web around the base of the plant or shoot of new leaves. It looks like they actually eat the leaves as well. Any clue what they might be? Fungus Gnats?

I have Bayer Advance Rose insect stuff that is used to treat Nepenthes for Aphids but curious if this will work on these bugs too.

Nate

They don't get stuck in the dew?

They are taking over a D. Adelae, they make a web on the stalk and seem to cut into the leaf at that point. Once that happens the leaf stops making dew and just looks sickly. The rest of the plant is fine and catching things.

Can you get any pictures? I'd be interested to see exactly. I'm no expert, but i bet pictures would help someone else to help you.

The webbing suggests to me spider mites which can be black. They usually are smaller than the point of a pencil though - maybe the size of a period made by a pencil. Spider mites usually attack the undersides of leaves but some attack the underside of the midribs of leaves which would be the petiole on most rosetted dews.

I'd try drowning them for a few days in RO water. Put the pot and all in a container deep enough so that you can completely cover the plant in water. Most sundews should tolerate being flooded for a few days. You may have to repeat this a couple times on five day intervals to take care of any eggs that might have survived.

Besides adelae what other species do you have?

If the Bayer Advanced lists spider mites you might be able to use it but the 'dews might react to the pesticide. Test first I guess or just take a chance.

Here are the Pics, defiantly mite size. Didn't think these would turn out, but I think they are good enough to show what they are, and what they are doing.

Infest1.JPG

Infest2.JPG

-Nate

I'd drown the plants. Not many bugs survive that. The pyrethroid insecticide in the Bayer Advanced will probably take care of them, but again I'm not sure how the 'dews will react to the Bayer Advanced.

That plant has been treated with it for 2 days now, doesn't seem to be upset about it. I noticed these things while splitting the clump apart and re-planting the pot. Today it even got some dew back. I'm really curious if it worked or not, in case they get to the Nepenthes or something. But the problem is that I can't tell if they are dead!

Oh well, I better just give them a bath tonight.

Scrub-a-dub-dub two Adelae's to the tub.

Nate.

If you've sprayed them already I'd give the spray a chance to work and spray again 7 days (as recommended) after the first spraying. If you're using the Advanced Bayer Dual-Action spray it has the pyrethroid and a systemic (Imidacloprid) insecticide. The pyrethroid should kill the bugs on contact. The systemic may take a few days for the bugs to ingest enough to kill them. Poke 'em with a stick and see if they're still alive.

Back