What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With the arrival of colder nighttime temperatures, many of my Heliamphora are putting out their new leaves (which last well over a year) -- a reversal of their northern hemisphere Sarracenia cousins; and some have begun flowering . . .

Heliamphora pulchella (Chimanta)
HPULCHELLA-1.jpg

Heliamphora chimantensis (Chimanta Massif)
HCHIMAN.jpg

Heliamphora glabra (Serra da Sol)
HGLABRA.jpg

Heliamphora ionasii (Gran Sabana)
HIONASSI.jpg

Heliamphora nutans x ionasii (Gran Sabana)
HNUTANSXIONASII.jpg

Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii (Gran Sabana)
HETxIONASSI2.jpg

Heliamphora nutans (Wei Tepui)
HNUTANS-2.jpg

Heliamphora nutans "Giant" (Mount Roraima)
NUTANSGIANT.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, my. I can only imagine how the growing area must be.

WOAH!! Those are amazing heli's!! The nectar spoons are huge, and the colour is amazing!! AWSOME plants!! I really envy you, once again, great plants. :0o:

Very wonderful!

Wow those are some amazing helis, Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic. Do you grow those outside?

I really want to see your setup sometime.

The Heliamphora nutans x ionassi is my fav.

Thanks for the photos!

Gorgeous! What is your preferred media? Is that live sphagnum all the way through or is it just a top dressing?

Fantastic. Do you grow those outside?

Yes, they are grown outside and receive full morning light and, especially, cold nights . . .

Gorgeous! What is your preferred media? Is that live sphagnum all the way through or is it just a top dressing?

Thanks . . .

The compost is composed of live sphagnum, pumice, and perlite. Some growers swear by various grades of orchid barks but I have far better results with the moss . .

As always, very nice BB!

Av

Beautiful!! Wish i could say the trees in Iraq were as pretty... :)

Breathtaking plants! You and Aviator have the best!

Beautiful plants as always!
How do you protect your plants from frost when they are outside? Or do you bring then in once winter really kicks in?
Certainly your growing conditions produces some of the best colour I have seen!

cheers

bill

Thanks all . . .

The plants are only sheltered when frost is predicted and then generally by fabric intended to protect roses. In Northern California (the San Francisco Bay Area), we don't experience any sustained freezing; and it is generally a surprise when we have to scrape our windshields.

Today, on 2 December we have expected highs of 14˚C and lows of 7.2˚C -- perfect for Heliamphora and highland Nepenthes . . .

Nice plants! They all look fantastic.

Also, is that H. hispida my plants mother?

Hey BigB-

Those are some Heli-uva nice plants you got there :-D :hail:

Good Growing and Happy Holidays :boogie:
E

BB, your Helis are most impressive looking. Once I saw the hand holding the pot, and was able to use it as a size reference, I was duly convinced just how impressive your Helis really are. Keep up the good growing!

Great plants you have there Big Bella. How do you get such nice red coloration in your heliamphora? Could it be colder night temperatures trigger a deeper red in the pitchers, or do they always have that deep red color because of the light they are getting? Either way keep up the good work.

Back