What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Hummers Home "day trip"

uphwiz

jimmy
It took about four hours for me to get there , but I will go again if I'm invited. He took down my e-mail so HOPE HOPE .
John is a very nice guy.
On his tour, if any questions got asked, they got answered, it took about 2 hours, which for me went too fast , even though he said it would take about 1 1/2 hours.
There was a group of 19 + John, and he led the group, at times he would walk back and fourth among the group to answer questions, so I don't feel I missed anything. I wanted to carry a note book because I knew I wouldn't remember the complex names he used for many of his plants. I opted for my camera, and got some really nice photos, but would love to be left alone for a day, so I could have the time to set up my camera, and get some award winning art work.
Most of my shots I took in a standing position with my camera held down at my waist so I wasn't just shooting down on the tops in every picture.
There is a massive growth of sphagnum moss, and ({ laugh here }alondravaria ? that's my best guess, water plant with flytrap like traps, someone correct me please, I didn't have a notebook).
To this point in my life, I've not seen any thing to compare to his tremendous bog/pond ,sarricenia collection ,from the beginning to the end , if you stepped off his boarded path you were standing on a carpet if fly traps dews sarricenia, the dews were starting to go dormant, and the flytraps were a little hard to see standing up, things are very naturalized, but if you bent down the floor in some places was a carpet of them.
It will take me a little time to load all the pictures, but here are a few nice shots.
IMG_3487.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3446.jpg
IMG_3483.jpg
Here is johns ,Hummers Hammerhead ,named after him .
IMG_3455.jpg
IMG_3468.jpg
At one point one of the group asked to see the roots on one of the sarrs , and in John went, he spent several minutes in the bog and did a division and replant demo.
I took a quick shot. and he didnt seem to mind , I wanted to got another , but after a close smell, proving the roots and waters were very fresh with almost no odor, he had a big clump of peat on his nose, so I spared him the second picture.
IMG_3486.jpg
IMG_3422.jpg
Im sure it could be done , but it would be very difficult to take a picture without a carnivorous plant in it any where around his pond. Can you find the juvenile sarr. here
IMG_3443.jpg
These are some of the nicer pictures , I will load up a few more later, of a few of the more interesting Sarrs. and over all pond shots..

Beautiful scenery! What an opportunity!

I was coming home from a vacation in SC the day he was having it.
First time I missed he's Wetland day in about 5 or 6 years.
I hope to be free next year when he does it again. It's always a spectacular sight to see his bog.

Wow what a chance! Looks like a great experience Jimmy :) And the 'water VFT' is Aldrovanda :)
Sounds and looks like you had a blast! Thanks for sharing some pics :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!
Nice opportunity you had, and obviously appreciated.
Great Photos Jimmy!
Glad you were able to go, and have such a unique experience.
:bigthumpup:

Whoa, amazing! Can't wait to see more!

So... THAT's where all the Aldrovanda is being horded in the USA! I've always wanted some but never had the oportunity to try growing it.

Very cool - I'd love a tour like that!

Back